Special interest and custom-built vehicles

How to register a special interest or custom built vehicle in Alberta.


You will be held responsible and liable for the design, engineering and safe operation of the vehicle you build. Contact your insurance company before building the vehicle to inquire about insurance requirements.


To register your custom-built vehicle for on-highway use, it must be designed for on-highway use. If your vehicle is made from one or more donor vehicles (vehicles whose parts you have used), you must ensure all the donor vehicles were on-highway vehicles. A vehicle made from an off-highway vehicle cannot be registered for use on-highway.

Vehicle Identification Numbers

Your vehicle will need an assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). VINs are assigned by the Insurance Bureau of Canada and under contract with the Alberta government.

You must ensure the frame and structural members from the donor vehicles are not branded as non-repairable, which means ‘parts only.’ You will not be able to obtain an assigned VIN if your vehicle contains serial numbered structural components of a ’parts only’ vehicle.

If a donor vehicle was branded ’salvage,’ your composite vehicle must pass the requirements of Alberta's Salvage Vehicle Inspection.


Take your vehicle to an Alberta inspection facility to ensure it meets all equipment requirements. Your vehicle must meet the on-highway equipment requirements found in the:


Vehicle Inspection Program