COVID-19 response: Movie theatres must close
Effective December 13, 2020 some businesses will be required to close, reduce capacity or limit their in-person access. This includes movie theatres. These mandatory restrictions apply provincewide and will be in place at least until January 21, 2021.
Learn more about new mandatory public health measures in Alberta.
Theatres and other movie venues, otherwise known as exhibitors, were first allowed to reopen in June. They are encouraged to review these relaunch guidance documents developed by Alberta Health:
- Guidance for Movie Theatres (PDF, 294 KB)
- General relaunch guidance (PDF, 185 KB)
- other applicable Alberta Health guidance found at Alberta Biz Connect
For general information, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
To finalize ratings fees, distributors must provide the final number of screens in Alberta on which the rated films, trailers or other content will be displayed.
- You may provide this information after the film or trailer has received its rating, when the final number of screens has been confirmed.
- Clients will be invoiced for ratings fees within 4 weeks of reporting the final number of screens.
- Cheques must be in Canadian dollars.
Fill out the form below to report the final number of Alberta screens for your film or trailer.
The information is used pursuant to section 33(c) and section 39(1)(a) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Questions regarding the collection, use, or disclosure of this information, may be directed to the Alberta Film Classification Rating at 780-427-2006.
Questions about the FOIP Act may be directed to the Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Women FOIP Office at 780-641-9907.