You can report a concern to the Service Dog Assessment Team if you encounter or witness a violation of the Service Dogs Act and Service Dogs Qualification Regulations (PDF, 278 KB) or Alberta Training Standard (155 KB).
Responsibility of the handler
It is the responsibility of the handler to maintain control of the service dog at all times. If the service dog displays behaviours that are aggressive, disruptive to other patrons or damaging to property, the service dog team can be asked to leave.
Accommodation for others
The rights of all Albertans must be considered in a respectful and tolerant manner. Some people may have allergies, fear of dogs or avoid dogs for religious reasons. Upon expressing their concerns to the manager of the public space, they, the manager and the service dog team will cooperate to make alternate arrangements or find a compromise that satisfies everyone.
Some common concerns may be:
- a qualified service dog team being denied access to a public space after presenting their Service Dog Team Identification Card
- a service dog acting in an unruly, intrusive or aggressive manner
- a service dog handler or trainer using harmful or injurious discipline on their service dog
Report a concern
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
Please use the Service Dog Concerns Form (PDF, 155 KB) to report your concerns.
You can submit the form by mailing it to the address below, by faxing it to 780-427-9145 or by email at [email protected].
Connect with the Service Dog Assessment Team:
Service Dog Assessment Team
Community and Social Services
3rd Floor, Standard Life Centre
10405 Jasper Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R7
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.