If you are concerned that a driver may be a risk to public safety due to a medical and/or physical condition(s), you can submit a report to Alberta Transportation Driver Fitness and Monitoring. You must provide as much detail as possible and sign the report.
How to report a concern
Step 1. Write report
The report must include:
- date of report
- full name of unsafe driver
- address of unsafe driver, if known
- unsafe driver’s licence number, if known
- birth date or approximate age of unsafe driver, if known
- any known medical or physical conditions that may affect safe driving
- name, signature and phone number of the person making the report
Step 2. Submit report
Send the report by mail, email or fax to Driver Fitness and Monitoring.
Step 3. Report is reviewed
Driver Fitness and Monitoring will review the report and identify what is required to determine the driver’s fitness to drive. A Reviewing Officer may contact you for more information.
Step 4. Follow-up actions
The Registrar has the authority to:
- require that a driver participate in a medical or physical examination
- place special conditions or restrictions on a driver’s licence
- suspend a driver’s licence
These actions will only be taken where there are reasonable and probable grounds to believe that the driver is a safety risk to him or herself or others.
Under Section 60.1 of the Traffic Safety Act, information received about unsafe drivers remains confidential and is not disclosed. As per Section 17 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the circumstances and/or actions surrounding the subject of your report will not be disclosed.
Connect with Driver Fitness and Monitoring:
Hours: 8:15 am to 12 pm, and 1 pm to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]
Main Floor, Twin Atria Building
Room 109, 4999 98 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.