Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Status: Bill 49 received royal assent on December 2, 2021
Ministry responsible: Skilled Trades and Professions
Bill 49: the Labour Mobility Act allows highly skilled Canadian certified professional workers to easily and quickly get work in our province by removing barriers and creating a consistent approach to recognizing out-of-province credentials.
Previously, out-of-province certified professional workers faced additional educational, examination and practice-hour requirements in order to use their credentials in Alberta. Bill 49 creates a standardized approach to recognizing out-of-province credentials and clarifies requirements for Alberta's professional regulatory authorities.
Bill 49 also allows for the seamless movement of these certified professional workers to our province in more than 100 regulated occupations, including optometrists, engineers and accountants.
Labour mobility is a key part of Alberta’s plan to help attract skilled workers, support economic growth and create jobs now and into the future.
Bill 49, the Labour Mobility Act:
- standardizes and streamlines processes to recognize the credentials and training of out-of-province certified professional workers
- introduces maximum timeframes (20 business days) for registration decisions or an extension of up to 10 business days via Minister approval
- requires processes for appeals and for internally reviewing applications
- determines what information or documentation types or quantities regulatory authorities can request
- defines offences and financial penalties for contravening the act
- requires documentation and fees be available on a public website
- Bill 49 Labour Mobility Act fact sheet (PDF, 315 KB)
- Bill 49 Labour Mobility Act occupations (PDF, 412 KB)
Bill 49: the Labour Mobility Act comes into force upon proclamation.
- Strengthening Alberta’s workforce (October 25, 2021)
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.