To limit the number of personal visits, the Government of Alberta is temporarily allowing registry agents to provide select services by phone, secure email, fax or mail:
- corporate registry services
- personal property services
- select motor vehicle services, including:
- vehicle registration renewals and replacement
- cancellation of driver’s licences
Some registry agents have voluntarily closed or are operating with reduced hours. Phone ahead to find a local registry office to ensure it is open and confirm whether they provide the service you require remotely.
Alberta driver’s licences, vehicle registrations and other permits or certificates that expired prior to May 15 must now be renewed.
For more information, including a complete list of registry services available remotely, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
Registry agents offer registration, information and licensing services on behalf of government.
Services provided by registry agents include:
- vehicle registration
- driver licensing and testing
- personal property (lien) searches and registrations
- land titles searches
- vital statistics searches
- Alberta Health Care registration
- Alberta Organ and Tissue Donation Registry services
For more information, see the Registry Agent Product Catalogue.
Becoming a registry agent
Starting a new registry
Currently, there are no new registry opportunities.
When new opportunities to start a registry are available, they will be posted to the Alberta Purchasing Connection.
Buying an existing registry
Existing registry agents may sell their business in which case the proposed new owner is required to submit the following documents for approval:
- completed application
- detailed business plan
The approval process includes a comprehensive security clearance, financial review and interview conducted by Service Alberta.
For details on becoming a registry agent, please read the Information Package for Becoming a Registry Agent (PDF, 149 KB).
Working in a registry agency
Information on training and employment opportunities is available through the Alberta Association of Registry Agents (AARA).
Employment opportunities with AMA Registries are posted on the AMA website.
Find a registry agent
To search for a registry agent, see the Find a registry agent page.
Motor vehicle services
Registry agents provide information on vehicle and driver services.
- vehicle registrations
- vehicle information reports
- personalized licence plate applications
- antique licence plates
- in-transit permits
- some prorate services
- driving abstracts
- driver licensing and testing
- commercial licensing
- motorcycle and off-highway licensing
- fine payments
- information on vehicle seizures
Vital statistics information includes:
- birth certificates
- death certificates
- marriage certificates
- marriage licences
- legal name changes
- genealogical searches
Land titles searches provide information on:
- property owners
- surface rights
- mineral rights
Searches, certificates and historical information
Corporate Registry can find information on the certificates and history of:
- Alberta societies
- non-profit organization
- trade names
- limited liability partnerships and corporations
- name changes
- filing annual returns for corporations
- annual reports for limited liability partnerships
- amendments to corporate names
Not all registry agents perform all Corporate Registry services. If you need a Corporate Registry service, see the Corporate Registry Service Providers.
Personal property registry
Personal property registry can provide the following information:
- Individual debtor names
- Business debtor names
- Serial numbers
- Registration numbers
- Seizure and Related Writs
- Security agreements
- Sale of goods
- Factors Act
- Garageman’s Liens
- Crown Charges
- Land Charges
- Statutory Charges
- Court Orders
- Writs of Enforcement
- Attachment Orders
- Matrimonial Property Orders
- Maintenance Orders
- Railway Rolling Stocks
- Receiver’s Reports
Alberta Health Care
Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) services include:
- updating information
Not all agents perform AHCIP registration services.
Alberta Organ and Tissue Donor Registry
Registry agents provide the following services:
- registering consent to donate organs or tissues
- registering consent to donate bodies for medical education