Emergency Preparedness Week – May 5 to 11, 2019
Emergency Preparedness Week (EP Week) is an annual event that takes place the first full week of May. This national event is coordinated by Public Safety Canada, in close collaboration with the provinces, territories and partners.
The campaign is aimed to help Canadians take action to protect themselves and their families during emergencies. Working together with community leaders, first responders, non-government organizations and all levels of government, we can build a more resilient and safer Canada.
Emergency preparedness week tools and resources
- Emergency kit checklist printable brochure
- Emergency preparedness week toolkit from BePrepared.ca
- Personal preparedness course
EP Week events by region
- Lethbridge, AB – Disaster Con: Lethbridge Park Place Mall – May 10 from 12 to 6 pm
- Coaldale, AB – Emergency Preparedness BBQ: Coaldale Community Centre – May 11 from 11 to 2 pm
South Central Region
- Chestermere, AB – Emergency Preparedness Open House: Chestermere Fire Hall 156E Chestermere Drive – May 11 from 11 to 1 pm
- Calgary, AB – Disaster Alley: Calgary McMahon Stadium (east parking lot) 1817 Crowchild Trail NW – May 4 from 11 to 3pm
North Central Region
- Enoch Cree Nation, AB – Emergency Awareness Day: Enoch Cree Nation School – May 7 from 10 to 2 pm
- City of Edmonton – Get Ready in the Park: William Hawrelak Park – May 11 from 10 to 3 pm
North West Region
- Hamlet of Dixonville, AB – Emergency Preparedness Open House: Dixonville Fire Hall – May 8 from 5 to 7 pm
- Weberville, AB – Emergency Preparedness Open House: Weberville Fire Hall – May 10 from 5 to 7 pm
East Central Region
- Town of Vegreville, AB - Emergency Preparedness Open House: Vegreville Fire Station – May 15 from 2 to 7 pm
- Town of Three Hills, AB - Emergency Preparedness Open House: Three Hills Fire Hall 232 Main Street – May 8 from 5 to 7 pm
- Town of Three Hills, AB - First Responders Slow pitch: Three Hills Campground and ball diamond 1600 2nd Street – May 9 from 5 to 8 pm
- Town of Carstairs, AB - Safety Community Event: Carstairs Arena Havenfield Drive – May 10 from 4:30 to 8 pm
Raise awareness about being prepared for disaster – take the #PrepareYourSelfie challenge!
The #PrepareYourSelfie challenge uses social media to encourage Albertans to take steps towards becoming more prepared and share with their peers using the #PrepareYourSelfie hashtag.
You can use the #PrepareYourSelfie challenge to create a conversation with your community. Invite community leaders and local social media influencers to share the message. Challenge local businesses, neighbouring communities and leaders near and far to take steps towards becoming more prepared and share it on social. By working together we can raise the profile of personal preparedness and build resilient communities together.
For more information to support #PrepareYourSelfie:
To connect with the Alberta Emergency Management Agency:
Alberta Emergency Management Agency
14515 122 Ave NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5L 2W4
To connect with one of our regional offices, visit AEMA regional offices.