At provincial functions where federal, foreign or diplomatic dignitaries are present, circumstances may dictate that provisions of the Table of Precedence of Canada or international rules of protocol be observed, giving these dignitaries precedence over certain provincial categories.
Order of Precedence
- The Lieutenant Governor of Alberta*
- The Premier of Alberta.
- The Chief Justice of Alberta
- Former Lieutenant Governors, precedence determined by the date of their Commissions
- Former Premiers; precedence is determined by the date of their swearing-in ceremony
- The Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta
- Ambassadors and High Commissioners accredited to Canada
- Members of the Executive Council of Alberta, in relative order of precedence as determined by the Premier
- Leader of the Official Opposition
- Members of the Privy Council for Canada resident in Alberta, with relative precedence among them to, first, Members of the Canadian Cabinet and second, to those not in Cabinet
- Members of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta with precedence governed by the date of their first election to the Legislature
- Members of the Senate, who represent Alberta, relative precedence determined by date of appointment
- Members of the House of Commons who represent Alberta constituencies, relative precedence determined by date of election
- Chief Justice, Alberta Court of Queen's Bench
- Justices of the Alberta Court of Appeal
- Justices of the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench
- Heads of religious denominations
- Heads of Consular Posts: Consuls-General; Consuls; Vice-Consuls; Consular Agents. (Precedence is determined by the date that definitive recognition is given by the Governor General.)
- Chief Judge of the Provincial Court followed by judges in seniority of appointment
- Aboriginal Leaders: Chiefs of the Treaty First Nations in Alberta, in order of seniority of election to office; President of Metis Settlements General Council; President of Metis Nation of Alberta
- Senior Officials:
- The Deputy Minister to the Premier and Cabinet Secretary; the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly; the Ombudsman; the Provincial Auditor; the Chief Electoral Officer; the Ethics Commissioner, the Information and Privacy Commissioner, the Child and Youth Advocate, and the Public Interest Commissioner
- Deputy Ministers; then Senior Alberta government officials with rank of Deputy Minister as determined by the Executive Council; then Chief Executive Officers of Crown Corporations (relative precedence determined by date of appointment)
- Universities: The Chancellor of the University of Alberta; Chancellor of the University of Calgary; Chancellor of the University of Lethbridge; Chairman of the Board, University of Alberta; Chairman of the Board, University of Calgary; Chairman of the Board, University of Lethbridge; Chairman of the Board, Athabasca University; Chairman of the Board, Mount Royal University; Chairman of the Board, Grant MacEwan University; President of the University of Alberta; President of the University of Calgary; President of the University of Lethbridge; President of Athabasca University; President of Mount Royal University; President, Grant MacEwan University
- Police and Military: Commanding Officer, "K" Division, Royal Canadian Mounted Police; Commander, 3rd Canadian Division; Commanding Officer, H.M.C.S. Nonsuch; Commanding Officer, 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group; Commanding Officer, 1 Area Support Group; Commanding Officer, 41 Canadian Brigade Group; Commanding Officer, 4 Wing
*In the absence of the Lieutenant Governor from the Province or his/her inability to carry out the duties of Lieutenant Governor for any reason, the Administrator of the Province takes the Lieutenant Governor's place of precedence.
Contact this office
Updated April 15, 2015
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.