The 2024 applications are now open.
The Premier’s Citizenship Award is 1 of 3 Alberta Citizenship Awards that recognize students who have contributed to their communities through public service and volunteering.
Each high school in Alberta will select one graduating grade 12 student to receive this award. The Government of Alberta annually presents 1 award to a student enrolled in each high school in Alberta. Each recipient receives a letter of commendation from the Premier.
A recipient must:
- be a Canadian Citizen, a Permanent Resident, or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible)
- be an Alberta resident, for which 1 of the following conditions must apply:
- 1 parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies
- be graduating from high school in the current academic year
Alberta high schools can each select 1 recipient for the Premier's Citizenship Award. Students may wish to contact their school administration to be considered.
Once a school has selected their recipient, the school must submit a completed and signed Alberta Citizenship Awards Application form on behalf of the student. Students and school administration should work together to compile and submit this document.
Student attributes to consider
The recipient should display outstanding characteristics in:
- community service or engagement in volunteer work
The recipient should have also demonstrated initiative and have had a positive impact in the community or school.
Note: Academic achievement is not a requirement for any of these awards.
The deadline for schools to submit application forms to the Government of Alberta is June 1 of every year.
Connect with Strategic Stakeholder Outreach:
Strategic Stakeholder Outreach
901, 10405 Jasper Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R7