- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 40+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
We are gathering perspectives from Albertans that will help determine critical areas of the Police Act, Police Service Regulation and Alberta provincial policing standards to amend or reform.
Your responses will identify opportunities to modernize policing, helping to ensure Albertans feel safe and confident that justice is being done, and that police are accountable to the communities they protect.
This review of the Police Act builds on a broad stakeholder engagement on the future of policing held between June 2018 and March 2019.
Stakeholder engagement continues. Survey closed January 4, 2021.
Results under review
Who is listening
Ministry of Justice and Solicitor General
In fall of 2020 and early 2021, government officials met with stakeholders, including police associations, First Nations, community leaders, municipalities, and communities representing cultural and ethnic diversity.
During fall 2020, the Police Act review focused on 3 main topics:
- governance and public trust (including complaints and oversight)
- Indigenous policing
- the role of police
During spring 2021, conversations with communities representing cultural and ethnic diversity aim to gain a better understanding of:
- experiences diverse communities have with police
- how their daily lives are impacted by interactions with police
- how to improve areas where there is strain
Albertans shared their thoughts on policing and their experiences with the police through the online survey from December 3, 2020 to January 4, 2021.
Thank you for your participation, we are currently reviewing survey responses.
What we hear will help us better understand barriers and challenges in the current system while identifying opportunities to implement changes in policing, as well as update the Police Act, Police Service Regulation and Alberta provincial policing standards.
- Special adviser to assist review of the Police Act (February 23, 2021)
- Have your say on policing in Alberta (Dec 3, 2020)
Last updated: March 18, 2021