COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
COVID-19 response: Air Photo Library temporary closure
The Air Photo Library is open by appointment only. The Restrictions Exemptions Program has been implemented and wearing a mask is required while on the premises.
For more information, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
Obtain your legal land description
The most important piece of information required order air photo product is the legal land description of the area you would like to cover. Legal land descriptions are determined from the Alberta Township Survey (ATS). For more information and help finding your legal land description or help selecting the right photo for your needs, see the Aerial photography overview.
Using the Aerial Photographic Record System (APRS)
Search on-line using Aerial Photographic Record System (APRS). APRS is the database program that is used to find photographic projects covering a specific section or a group/block of sections. Block searches are not as accurate as section searches.
For APRS, username/password is guest/guest
To complete a search:
- Log in.
- Enter the legal land description using only the numerical values starting with the Section and followed by the Township, Range and Meridian. Example: 34-50-23-4.
- A list of projects will appear with links to flight index maps.
- Select the project that matches the scale and years that you are interested in ordering.
- Download or open the zip file containing the flight index map.
- Locate your legal land description on the flight index map and select the photo center closest to your site/location. In most cases, only every fifth center is identified on the index map, the intermediate photo centres are not usually numbered.
- Determine the roll number (usually located in the legend block or at the beginning or end of the flight lines or on the flight line). The roll number has prefix of 2-4 characters, for example: "AS", "TRSG", "ED".
- For more information, read the “README File” contained in the zip file for each flight index map.
Products and pricing
Scans of aerial photographs are available digitally. The digital files are not georeferenced and are not corrected for distortion. We deliver images in a TIFF or MrSID file format. Physical prints and enlargements are also available.
|Product description||Price per item|
|Custom scanning (special instructions or enlargement)||$25.00|
|Scan of Alberta Photogrammetric Control Points (1980's 1:60,000 limited selection)||$10.00|
|Camera Calibration Report||$5.00|
|Certified Copy (physical copy only)||$25.00|
|Laser Print of Enlargement||$20.00|
Place your order and order processing
Once we have processed your order, we will send you a payment link through the Government Payment Application Service. Once payment has been received, you will receive an email with a link to your images.
Regular orders will be processed within 5 business days while custom orders can take up to 10 business days for processing.
Electronic delivery of products is free. Additional charges may apply for physical delivery.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.