Obtain your legal land description
The most important piece of information required order air photo product is the legal land description of the area you would like to cover. Legal land descriptions are determined from the Alberta Township Survey (ATS). For more information and help finding your legal land description or help selecting the right photo for your needs, see the Aerial photography overview.
Using the Aerial Photographic Record System (APRS)
Search on-line using Aerial Photographic Record System (APRS). APRS is the database program that is used to find photographic projects covering a specific section or a group/block of sections. Block searches are not as accurate as section searches.
To complete a search:
- The username/password for APRS is guest/guest.
- Enter the legal land description using only the numerical values starting with the Section and followed by the Township, Range and Meridian. Example: 34-50-23-4.
- A list of projects will appear with links to flight index maps.
- Select the project that matches the scale and years that you are interested in ordering.
- Download or open the zip file containing the flight index map.
- Locate your legal land description on the flight index map and select the photo center closest to your site/location. In most cases, only every fifth center is identified on the index map, the intermediate photo centres are not usually numbered.
- Determine the roll number (usually located in the legend block or at the beginning or end of the flight lines or on the flight line). The roll number has prefix of 2-4 characters, e.g. "AS", "TRSG", "ED".
- For more information, read the “README File” contained in the zip file for each flight index map.
Products and pricing
Scans of aerial photographs are available digitally. The digital files are not georeferenced and are not corrected for distortion. We scan 25 by 25 cm contact prints at 1200 dpi and deliver them in a MrSID file format. Higher dpi values and different file types are available upon request (see custom scanning below). Physical prints and enlargements are also available. All printing is done from resources in our collection at 2400 dpi using a laser printer.
|Product description||Price per item|
|Scan of Contact Print (1200 dpi)||$16.50|
|Custom scanning (special instructions or enlargement)||$25.00|
|Scan of Alberta Photogrammetric Control Points (1980's 1:60,000 limited selection)||$10.00|
|Camera Calibration Report||$5.00|
|Laser Copier Print (2400 dpi)||$12.00|
|Certified Copy (physical copy only)||$25.00|
|Laser Copier Print (2400 dpi) of Enlargement||$20.00|
Place your order and order processing
Once we have processed your order, we will send you a payment link through the Government Payment Application Service. Once payment has been received, you will receive an email with a link to your images.
Regular orders will be processed within 5 business days from receipt of payment while custom orders can take up to 10 business days for processing.
Electronic delivery of products is free. Additional charges will apply for physical delivery.
We do not guarantee coverage of your Area of Interest. To ensure you’ve ordered the right photos with the desired coverage, you can visit the Air Photo Library in Edmonton and access our files and contact prints.
Connect with Air Photo Library:
Air Photo Library
2nd Floor East, Muriel Stanley Venne Provincial Centre
12360 142 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5L 2H1