Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
The Alberta Newborn Screening Program* screens for 21 treatable conditions (16 metabolic conditions, 2 endocrine conditions, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease, and severe combined immunodeficiency).
Beginning February 28, 2022, babies will be screened for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) through a pilot program funded by Muscular Dystrophy Canada. The SMA screening test will become part of Alberta’s publicly funded newborn screening program after the pilot program is completed.
Related: Alberta to screen babies for spinal muscular atrophy
The Alberta Newborn Screening Program is done through newborn blood spot screening to help find conditions that can be treated early. Early treatment can help prevent health problems, improve a baby's health and may even save a baby's life.
Through the Alberta Newborn Screening Program, Alberta Health determines which conditions are screened and Alberta Health Services delivers the program. Program resources are available through Alberta Health Services.
- Biotinidase deficiency (BIOT)
- Carnitine uptake defect (CUD)
- Citrullinemia (CIT)
- Glutaric acidemia type 1 (GA1)
- Classic galactosemia (GALT)
- 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA lyase (HMG) deficiency
- Isovaleric acidemia (IVA)
- Long chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase (LCHAD) deficiency
- Medium chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase (MCAD) deficiency
- Methylmalonic acidemia (MMA)
- Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD)
- Propionic acidemia (PA)
- Phenylketonuria (PKU)
- Tri-functional protein (TFP) deficiency
- Tyrosinemia Type 1 (TYR1)
- Very long chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase (VLCAD) deficiency
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH)
- Congenital hypothyroidism (CH)
Cystic Fibrosis (CF)
Sickle Cell Disease (SCD)
Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID)
Newborn Metabolic Screening Program policy
*Known formerly as the Newborn Metabolic Screening (NMS) Program.
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.