Alberta’s Newborn Metabolic Screening (NMS) Program screens for 17 treatable conditions (14 metabolic conditions, 2 endocrine conditions and cystic fibrosis).
The NMS Program is done through newborn blood spot screening to help find conditions that can be treated early. Early treatment can help prevent health problems, improve a baby's health and may even save a baby's life.
The NMS Program is provided by Alberta Health Services.
- Newborn Metabolic Screen Program general information
- Newborn Metabolic Screen Program resources for health professionals
- Biotinidase deficiency (BIOT)
- Carnitine Uptake Defect (CUD)
- Citrullinemia (CIT)
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH)
- Congenital Hypothyroidism (CH)
- Cystic Fibrosis (CF)
- Glutaryl-CoA Dehydrogenase deficiency
- 3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl-CoA Lyase (HMG) deficiency
- Isovaleric Acidemia (IVA)
- Long Chain 3-Hydroxyacyl-CoA Dehydrogenase (LCHAD) deficiency
- Maple Syrup Urine Disease (MSUD)
- Medium Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase (MCAD) deficiency
- Methylmalonic Acidemia (MMA)
- Phenylketonuria (PKU)
- Propionic Acidemia (PA)
- Tri-functional Protein (TFP) deficiency
- Very Long Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase (VLAD) deficiency