COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Acts and regulations
The Alberta Queen’s Printer website has a searchable listing of all statutes (acts) and regulations. The following legislation relates to natural gas:
Gas Resources Preservation Act
This act establishes approvals administered by the Department of Energy and the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) for authorization to remove natural gas from the province. See:
- Gas Resources Preservation Act
- Approval of Short-Term Permits Regulation (AR 205/2017)
- Gas Resources Preservation Regulation (AR 328/2002)
Mines and Minerals Act
This act governs the management and disposition of rights in Crown-owned mines and minerals. It includes the levying and collecting of bonuses, rental and royalties. Alberta Environment and Parks shares the administration of portions of this act.
- Mines and Minerals Act
- Natural Gas Royalty Regulation, 2017 (AR 211/2016)
- Natural Gas Royalty Regulation, 2009 (AR 221/2008)
- Enhanced Hydrocarbon Recovery Royalty Regulation (AR 210/2016)
- Emerging Resources Royalty Regulation (AR 209/2016)
- New Well Royalty Regulation (AR 32/2011)
Gas Utilities Act
This act governs the distribution of gas in Alberta by investor-owned utilities. See:
- Gas Utilities Act
- Code of Conduct Regulation (AR 58/2015)
- Default Gas Supply Regulation (AR 184/2003)
- Designation Regulation (AR 257/2007)
- Gas Utilities Exemption Regulation (AR 53/1999)
- Natural Gas Billing Regulation (AR 185/2003)
- Roles, Relationships and Responsibilities Regulation (AR 186/2003)
Natural Gas Marketing Act
This act establishes a process for producers to either approve or not approve the resale price of gas. The resale price forms the basis for the price producers receive for supplying the gas. The act also provides authority to gather information required to calculate Crown royalty.
Natural Gas Price Protection Act
This act enables Cabinet to authorize rebates to eligible Albertans in accordance with regulations. The Energy Minister would concur that the Alberta price for gas is or is likely to be greater than a price prescribed by regulation.
Connect with Gas Royalty Operations:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Email: [email protected]
Gas Royalty Operations
7th Floor, North Petroleum Plaza
9945 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2G6
Email: [email protected]
Pricing and Analysis
300, 801 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 3W2
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.