This engagement has been archived
Status: Completed in November 2018
Ministry responsible: Municipal Affairs
The Local Authorities Election Act outlines the rules for conducting elections in municipalities, school boards, Metis Settlements and irrigation districts.
These laws are generally reviewed after every municipal election to ensure they are up-to-date.
In summer 2018, we engaged with Albertans, municipalities, school boards, irrigation districts and Metis Settlements through face-to-face meetings and an online survey designed to provide input on a number of topics, including:
- campaign contributions and finances
- campaign expenses
- third-party advertising
- school board trustee elections
- voter identification
- advance votes
- residency requirements
- banning corporate and union donations
More than 1,500 people responded before the survey closed on August 1, 2018.
Read about the engagement highlights (PDF, 432 KB)
Feedback from Albertans, municipalities, school boards, irrigation districts and Metis settlements was used to help develop the proposed changes outlined in Bill 23: An Act to Renew Local Democracy that was introduced on November 5, 2018.
Results of the engagement activities showed strong support for the following issues:
- 95% supported mandatory advance voting
- 95% supported applying campaign finance rules to school board elections
- 94% supported rules for third-party advertisers
- 92% supported fundraising donations disclosure
- 90% supported banning corporate and union donations
- 85% supported lowering contribution limits
- 68% supported expanding vouching
Learn more changes to local election rules.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.