The Government of Alberta provides eligible municipal, regional, health and education authorities with financing for capital projects.
Upcoming loan dates and application deadlines
Note: For airport authorities application deadlines, please refer to the respective Credit Agreement.
The upcoming loan issuance dates and application deadlines are as follows:
|Loan issue date||Application deadline|
|December 15, 2020||October 30, 2020|
|March 15, 2021||January 29, 2021|
|June 15, 2021||April 30, 2021|
|September 15, 2021||July 30, 2021|
|December 15, 2021||October 29, 2021|
See how to apply.
General loan terms
- Refer to the Guide: Loan Types and Terms
- For capital project purposes
- Blended amortization, fixed rate loans
- 3 – 40 year amortization (depending on asset life)
- Semi-annual payments
- Other structures offered, subject to availability
Interest rates are finalized about 2 weeks prior to the loan issuance date. Please see below for current and historical interest rate information.
Loan calculator tool
The Loan Calculator tool can be used to generate a semi-annual payment schedule based on the loan amount, term, interest rate and loan type. Submit the loan calculator schedule with your application documents.
Local authorities are required to provide security in accordance with the Lending and Security Policy.
Full or partial prepayments are permitted. However, a prepayment cost referred to as the stop-loss settlement is applied to the prepayment amount. The Stop-Loss Settlement Policy protects the lender against significant losses that would occur in accepting prepayments of high interest rate loans and re-lending these funds at lower rates.
- To request a quote, please email [email protected] with the details of the loan including the prepayment amount, loan number and estimated date of prepayment.
- To request a prepayment, please complete the Application to Prepay a Loan Form (PDF, 70 KB). If you have trouble downloading this form, see the form instructions.
Under the Local Authorities Capital Financing Act, the Government of Alberta provides local authorities with financing for capital projects. Eligible local authorities include:
|Municipal authorities||Regional authorities||Education authorities||Health authorities|
Examples of eligible loan purposes
How to apply
See specific application requirements related to your authority type below.
A separate loan application is required for each individual capital project. The Government of Alberta may request any other information or documentation from time to time. If you have not previously borrowed with us, please contact us for further information.
All applicants are required to submit documents according to their authority type and as detailed in their respective loan application forms.
All applicants must submit the following documents:
- Loan Application
- Authorized Borrowing Bylaw or Resolution (Certified true copy) (see footnote 1)
- Most recent audited financial statement
- Loan calculator schedule
and the following additional documents as required for your specific borrowing situation.
Additional required application documents
|Regional Service Commissions||Post-Secondary Institutions||School Boards||Health Authorities|
|Debt Limit Worksheet and supporting documents
(See footnote 2)
|Master Loan Agreement
(See footnote 3)
(See footnote 4)
|Ministerial Approval (as applicable)
(See footnote 5)
|Credit Review Documents
(See footnotes 6, 7)
- Borrowing bylaw templates for municipal borrowing are provided in the forms section. For all other borrowers, you may also use the bylaw templates as a reference. However, all borrowers are advised to ensure compliance with their respective Acts and/or Regulations to ensure borrowing is properly authorized.
- Provide support for all figures in the appropriate Debt Limit Worksheet in the forms section, including repayment schedules for all bank loans and/or capital leases for current calendar year, showing payment dates and breakdown of principal and interest amounts, details of loan guarantees (as applicable).
- Municipal and service commission borrowers are required to provide either a Master Loan Agreement or Amended and Restated Master Loan Agreement, as applicable (see the forms section).
- Business Case or Opportunity Paper including project details, financial analysis and cash flow projections, basis of assumptions, etc.
- For municipalities or regional services commissions exceeding their regulated debt or debt service limit, approval of the Minister of Municipal Affairs is required. For Education and Health borrowers, approval of their ministry is required.
- Credit review documents: for those municipalities or service commissions within 25% of debt or debt service limit, the following additional documents are required:
- Include last 3 years’ Audited Financial Statements and Financial Information Returns; and
- next 3 – 5 years’ operating and capital budgets.
- Regional services commissions established after January 1, 2011 must provide evidence that its membership agreements include a ‘take or pay’ clause.
Forms and templates
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. If the form doesn't open, or you can't complete the form, or you see a "please wait" message, follow these steps to complete and save fillable forms from the Loans to Local Authorities Office:
- Right-click on the form link and select "Save Target As" or "Save Link As", and save the form to your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
- Municipal Authorities (PDF, 105 KB)
- Regional Services Commissions (PDF, 102 KB)
- Airport Authorities (PDF, 99 KB)
- Post-Secondary Institutions (PDF, 100 KB)
- School Boards (PDF, 95 KB)
- Health Authorities (PDF, 100 KB)
Master Loan Agreements
- Municipalities (PDF, 79 KB)
- Regional Service Commissions (PDF, 79 KB)
- Drainage Districts (PDF, 80 KB)
- Irrigation Districts (PDF, 79 KB)
Amended and Restated Master Loan Agreements
- Municipalities (PDF, 79 KB)
- Regional Services Commissions (PDF, 79 KB)
- Drainage Districts (PDF, 81 KB)
- Irrigation Districts (PDF, 79 KB)
- Online Loan Calculator and Instructions
- Debt Limit Worksheet – Municipal Authorities and Regional Services Commissions (PDF, 90 KB)
- Debt Limit Worksheet – Post-secondary Institutions (PDF, 89 KB)
- Municipal Borrowing Bylaw General Template (PDF, 68 KB)
- Borrowing Bylaw – Local Improvement Template (PDF, 69 KB)
- Interim Borrowing Bylaw Template (PDF, 68 KB)
- Local Improvement Tax Bylaw Template (PDF, 68 KB)
- Certificate of Final Reading Template (PDF, 38 KB) – Section 213, Municipal Government Act (MGA)
- Declaration of Notice of Intention to Construct Local Improvement Template (PDF, 37 KB)
- Declaration of Publication of Notice of proposed Bylaw (PDF, 38 KB) – Section 251, MGA
- Declaration of Sufficient Petition (PDF, 36 KB) – Section 393(2), MGA
- Municipal Public Notices Template (PDF, 51 KB)
- Notice – Intention to Construct a Local Improvement Template (PDF, 42 KB) – Section 393(1) & 404, MGA
Regional Services Commissions
Connect with the Loans to Local Authorities Office:
Treasury and Risk Management
2090 Sun Life Place
10123 99 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3H1