Application period: closed
The Language Teacher Bursary Program helps:
- French and international language teachers improve their language fluency, teaching skills and knowledge through a post-secondary education experience
- Alberta jurisdictions enhance their language teaching capacity
The program provides up to 10 bursaries of $5,000 for certificated Alberta teachers to take a summer post-secondary program in a language other than English or a language instruction course at an institution outside of Canada.
As a recipient, you:
- may use the bursary at your discretion to recover course costs and related expenses
- will not receive additional funds to cover costs beyond the bursary amount
Contact Teacher Qualifications Service at the Alberta Teachers' Association to learn more about language course salary qualification and assessment.
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person (visa students are not eligible)
- be an Alberta resident by meeting one of these conditions:
- one of your parents or legal guardians has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to you starting post-secondary studies and residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place you lived for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to starting post-secondary studies, or
- you are married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to starting post-secondary studies
- hold a valid Alberta permanent professional teaching certificate
- demonstrate a background in language learning, or have recently started studying this language
- plan to take a summer program at least 3 weeks long in a language and/or language teaching methodology other than English outside of Canada
Priority will be given to first time applicants. Applicants who received a bursary 5 years ago or earlier can re-apply.
The summer language development program must:
- be at least 3 weeks long
- include at least 3 hours daily scheduled classroom instruction
- be a university credit course or a language, culture or instructional development program in a language other than English
- be offered by a post-secondary institution or an organization outside Canada and recognized by its local government (for example, Goethe Institute, Cervantes Institute)
Courses should include additional scheduled, structured activities, such as:
- language conversation
- cultural activities
Connect with the Alberta Education Language Teacher Bursary Program:
Language Teacher Bursary Program
8th floor, 10044 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5E6
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.