If you own assets outside Alberta, see a lawyer. They will know if you need an international will – and then register it for you.

Different countries, and even some provinces, have their own standards for what makes a valid will. The list of countries which recognize international wills changes over time.

If you do not have a lawyer, contact the Law Society of Alberta’s Lawyer Referral Service.

Register an international will

A lawyer must register an international will. This area of the page is for lawyers only.

Step 1. Fill out the form

International Wills Registration System (PDF, 78 KB)

Step 2. Mail the form

International Wills
Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee
4th Floor, Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3Z8

Do not send us a copy of the will.

Privacy concerns

The record that your lawyer has registered an international will with the OPGT is protected. We can only share it with:

  • you
  • someone you authorize
  • the proper person who should have access when you die

Talk to your lawyer if you have questions or concerns.

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.