The Government of Alberta is committed to supporting the development, delivery, and ownership of affordable housing by Indigenous communities for Indigenous peoples in need.
The Indigenous Housing Capital Program (IHCP) provides funding to increase the supply of affordable off-reserve, off-settlement and on-settlement housing units for Indigenous peoples.
Development of the IHCP was guided by feedback gathered from Indigenous and Indigenous-serving organizations during a 2017 provincewide engagement.
Read the summary of engagement findings: What We Heard
Applications for funding are accepted year round.
Funding is currently available to support construction projects.
Eligible applicants include:
- Indigenous governments or organizations
- housing management bodies, municipalities, and not-for-profit organizations with formal partnerships with Indigenous governments or organizations
Eligible projects include:
- construction (including additions and extensions)
- purchase of an existing building
- repurposing an existing building
Units may be used for rental or for lease-to-purchase.
How to apply
Step 1. Read the guidelines
Step 2. Complete the application package
Step 3. Submit the application package
Submit the application:
- Email: [email protected]
Indigenous Housing Capital Program
Alberta Seniors, Community and Social Services
3rd Floor, 10044 108 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 5E6
After you apply
Applications are evaluated quarterly.
If any details change related to the project scope or approvals within this period, the applicant should advise Government of Alberta staff.
Subject to the agreement, successful applicants will be required to report on the following annually for the term of the agreement:
- operating and financial model
- development progress
- financial status
- ongoing tenant and waitlist profile
- exit surveys for tenants
- applicants perception of success
- New funding supports Indigenous housing projects (October 7, 2022)
- New housing on the way for Blackfoot families (October 4, 2022)
- Home ownership key to Indigenous housing project (October 3, 2022)
- Partnering to build Indigenous housing in Calgary (January 25, 2022)
- Doors open to new Indigenous housing in Edmonton (August 5, 2021)
- Housing helps Blackfoot women start a new chapter (July 21, 2021)
- Funding for Indigenous-owned housing projects (March 16, 2021)
- Housing investment for Edmonton Métis community (September 2, 2020)
- New homes, jobs in Elizabeth Metis Settlement (August 24, 2020)
- Redesigned program supports Indigenous housing (July 17, 2020)
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.