Infrastructure works with Alberta Health and Alberta Health Services (AHS) to design and build health facilities that will meet the needs of a growing Alberta.
Additional information about health facilities is available at Alberta Health.
Arthur J.E. Child Comprehensive Cancer Centre (Calgary)
Construction of the Arthur J.E. Child Comprehensive Cancer Centre (formerly the Calgary Cancer Centre) was completed in December 2022 and is anticipated to open to the public in 2024.
This project was an economic driver in Calgary:
- creating approximately 8,770 well-paying construction and construction-related jobs
- generating approximately 8 million work hours to complete the construction of the facility
The new centre covers approximately 186,000 square metres (over 2 million square feet) and has:
- 13 above-grade levels
- 5 levels of underground parking (1,650 parking stalls)
Services to be delivered at the Arthur J.E. Child Comprehensive Cancer Centre are based on clinical priorities that AHS identifies and include:
- outpatient cancer clinics
- 160 inpatient unit beds
- wet and dry research labs
- clinical and operational support services
- clinical trials unit and research laboratories
- systemic and radiation treatment services, including 15 radiation vaults
- new on-site underground parking with 1,650 stalls
Learn more about the Arthur J.E. Child Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
Gene Zwozdesky Centre at Norwood (Edmonton)
Construction on phase 1 of the Gene Zwozdesky Centre at Norwood redevelopment project is complete and the main tower, Norwood East, opened to the public on October 31, 2023.
The next steps on the project include:
- renovation of Norwood East (formerly the Angus McGugan Pavilion)
- demolition of the North Pavilion building and CHOICE day centre
- constructing a standalone parking structure for community emergency medical service (EMS) vehicles and renal dialysis vans
Learn more about the Gene Zwozdesky Centre at Norwood redevelopment project.
Misericordia Community Hospital
Construction of the new Misericordia Community Hospital emergency department was completed in summer 2023 and was opened to the public on November 21, 2023.
The new emergency department covers approximately 5,000 square metres (over 53,000 square feet) and has:
- 6 ambulance bays
- 64 treatment spaces
- 2 radiology rooms
- 5 isolation rooms
- 18 acute care spaces
- a decontamination suite
Learn more about the Misericordia Community Hospital’s new emergency department.
Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre
Work is on schedule for the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre redevelopment. This project is now in design phase.
Once completed, this project will upgrade several services throughout the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre, including:
- renovations to various areas within the main building
- the addition of an inpatient tower
- a new ambulatory clinic building
The expansion will also increase the number of beds on site from 370 to 570 (an additional 200 beds).
Learn more about the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre’s redevelopment.
Foothills Medical Centre: Power Plant Upgrade and Cogeneration Initiative Newsletter
Please use the following form to add your email address to our mailing list.
You can also use the form to unsubscribe from the email list if you no longer wish to receive our emails.
Alberta Infrastructure project information:
Email: [email protected]
6950 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5V7