Protocol agreements provide a framework for continued collaboration between the provincial government and First Nations in Alberta. They function as a broad umbrella agreement, under which meaningful discussion, information sharing, and the exploration of issues of mutual concern can occur.
The Protocol between the Government of Alberta and the Blackfoot Confederacy for Discussions on Matters of Mutual Concern, was signed in March 2017 by the Premier, the Minister of Indigenous Relations and Chiefs of the Blackfoot Confederacy.
The agreement establishes mechanisms by which Blackfoot Confederacy Chiefs and the government will meet to determine joint strategies to address areas such as:
- economic development and employment
- education, culture and language
- environment and land
- political and legal
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and Truth and Reconciliation Commission
Treaty 8 in Alberta
The Protocol between Treaty 8 First Nations of Alberta and the Province of Alberta for Discussion on Matters of Mutual Concern was signed in April 2016 by the Premier, Minister of Indigenous Relations, and the Grand Chief and Deputy Grand Chief of Treaty 8.
The agreement establishes mechanisms by which Treaty 8 First Nations’ Chiefs in Alberta and the provincial government will meet to determine joint strategies to address areas such as:
- women and children
- consultation, development and environment
- economy and employment
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
The 2 protocol agreements are to remain in place for as long as each party wishes to keep them active. As per each agreement, meetings will continue to occur:
- monthly between designated senior officials from both parties to create work plans, accomplish deliverables and draft annual reports
- regularly between designated Chiefs and Ministers to approve work plans
- annually between the Premier of Alberta, lead Ministers, Chiefs and designated senior officials to discuss annual reports
To connect with Indigenous Relations:
19th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 102 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4G8