Status: Survey open until August 31, 2019
Ministry responsible: Agriculture and Forestry
Alberta farms and ranches operate differently than other employers. Workplace rules must balance the unique economic pressures of farming, with the need for a flexible, common-sense workplace legislation for farms and ranches.
We want to hear from farmers, ranchers, workers and other stakeholders on how to improve workplace legislation for the agriculture sector.
We are committed to an engagement process that will ensure all Albertans have a chance to provide feedback to shape future farm and ranch workplace legislation. Your input will be used to help establish the right balance of workplace legislation.
Take the online survey by August 31, 2019 to share your thoughts on the following topics:
- Employment Standards: explore flexibility on rules like hours of work, holiday and vacation pay, days of rest, minimum wage and youth employment
- Occupational Health and Safety: identify basic safety standards and any special requirements
- Workers Compensation: explore choice of market insurance or WCB and identify basic coverage standards such as medical support, back to work support, and loss of income protection
- Labour Relations: identify any areas of improvement under the Labour Relations Code
The Minister of Agriculture and Forestry will also attend community events across the province this summer to hear from farmers, ranchers, workers and industry representatives. Reach out to your local MLA if you’re interested in attending one of the remaining sessions:
- August 19 – Airdrie (52 East Lake Avenue NE, Airdrie) – 10 am to noon
- August 19 – Okotoks (17049 306 Avenue East, Okotoks) – 3 pm to 5 pm
- August 20 – Claresholm (5920 - 59 Avenue, West, Claresholm) – 10 am to noon
- August 20 – Taber (4830 - 46 Avenue, Taber) – 3 pm to 5 pm
- August 21 – Lethbridge (4081 2 Avenue S, Lethbridge) – 3 pm to 5 pm
- August 22 – Grande Prairie (83007 TWP 722, Wembley) – 10 am to noon
- August 22 – Fairview (11235 - 98 Avenue, Fairview) – 3 pm to 5 pm
- August 23 – High Prairie (4721 - 51 Avenue, High Prairie) – 3 pm to 5 pm
Your input will help inform the Farm Freedom and Safety Act that will be introduced in fall of 2019 to reduce the regulatory burden on farmers and ranchers, while still ensuring basic safety standards.
Call 310-FARM (3276) if you have questions or would like help filling out the survey over the telephone.
- Consultations begin on farm freedom and safety (July 12, 2019)