Status: Under review
Ministry responsible: Agriculture and Forestry
Alberta farms and ranches operate differently than other employers. Workplace rules must balance the unique economic pressures of farming, with the need for a flexible, common-sense workplace legislation for farms and ranches.
We gathered feedback from farmers, ranchers, workers and other stakeholders on how to improve workplace legislation for the agriculture sector.
We committed to an engagement process that will ensure all Albertans have a chance to provide feedback to shape future farm and ranch workplace legislation.
Thanks for your input. We are currently reviewing feedback.
We gathered feedback on the following topics to establish the right balance of workplace legislation:
- Employment Standards: flexibility on rules like hours of work, holiday and vacation pay, days of rest, minimum wage and youth employment
- Occupational Health and Safety: basic safety standards and any special requirements
- Workers Compensation: choice of market insurance or WCB and identify basic coverage standards such as medical support, back to work support, and loss of income protection
- Labour Relations: areas of improvement under the Labour Relations Code
Your input will help inform the Farm Freedom and Safety Act that will be introduced in fall of 2019 to reduce the regulatory burden on farmers and ranchers, while still ensuring basic safety standards.
Call 310-FARM (3276) if you have questions.
- Consultations begin on farm freedom and safety (July 12, 2019)