Minister Sonya Savage
Sonya Savage was sworn in as Minister of Environment and Protected Areas on October 24, 2022.
The Premier's mandate letter to the Minister of Environment and Protected Areas outlines the objectives and priorities of the work they will focus on in their role.
- works to protect and enhance Alberta’s environment and ecosystems to ensure a sustainable future, making life better for Albertans
- works with Albertans, Indigenous communities and stakeholders to ensure the province’s environmental, social and economic outcomes for the future are met
- engages Albertans to understand the challenges in ensuring Alberta’s natural resources are managed using innovative and responsible approaches
- Alberta budget
- Environment and Protected Areas blog
- List of public agencies
- Media inquiries
- Personal information bank directories
- Alberta’s Environmental Science Program provides data, information and reporting on the condition of the environment in Alberta.
- The Office of the Chief Scientist coordinates delivery of Alberta’s Environmental Science Program to provide data and reporting on the condition of Alberta’s environment.
A special air quality statement has been issued for many parts of the province as high levels of smoke and ash residue continue.
Alberta river conditions and advisories
Visit the Alberta River Basins website for current advisories on watercourses throughout the province.
Bears and outdoor recreation
Advice for anglers, campers, hikers and mountain bikers on how to stay safe in bear country.
Everyone transporting a watercraft must report to an inspection station to check for aquatic invasive species.
- Apr 27, 2023
Environment and Protected Areas has laid charges against John Andrew Beck for not following environmental legislation.
- Apr 19, 2023
Alberta’s new Emissions Reduction and Energy Development (ERED) Plan charts Alberta’s course for cutting emissions, attracting investment and growing the economy.
- Apr 12, 2023
Environment and Protected Areas has laid charges against 1686301 Alberta Ltd. for not following environmental legislation.