Before you apply:
- Contact the department directly to discuss if your project fits within program eligibility and criteria. If deemed a fit, the department will invite you to submit a Letter of Request.
- You may be contacted directly by the department, based on the department’s awareness/knowledge of your project.
The Emerging Opportunities Grant Program supports the Government of Alberta’s strategic objectives related to growth and development of Alberta’s value-added agriculture sector. The program supports projects that focus on innovation and result in significant company growth and sector impact. Projects can include new technologies, best new practises, significant capacity expansions and new builds.
Interested applicants can contact the program area directly to discuss if the project meets the objectives of the program. If the project is deemed a fit, the applicant will be invited to submit a letter of request to the program. The program area will prepare recommendations for the Minister based on project alignment with assessment criteria and available funding.
There is limited funding in the program.
Maximum grant funding provided by this program is $1,000,000 per fiscal year, to a project maximum of $2,000,000.
A project will only be considered under one program (processors cannot apply to more than one Alberta Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership (Sustainable CAP) program for the same project expenses). Further details will be shared with applicants that are invited to apply for funding.
Costs are shared at 25% for approved capital expenses and 50% for approved non-capital expenses.
Grant payments are made based on a Reporting and Payment Schedule that forms part of the grant agreement. Typically, a payment is made upon full execution of the grant with a progress payment tied to receipt and approval of a status report and then a final payment will be based on the receipt and approval of the final report.
To be eligible for this program, an entity must be:
- registered and operating in Alberta
- Eligible applicants not operating in Alberta at the time of application must prove they will operate in Alberta and meet the intended project outcomes by no later than March 31, 2028.
- in good standing in accordance with applicable legislation
- an agriculture or bio-industrial processor, or an industry organization
The province is committed to supporting the success of Indigenous businesses in the agriculture and food sector. We understand that Indigenous businesses may have distinct characteristics reflective of regulatory, operational, cultural and other factors affecting their business history and operation. We aim for flexibility in our programs. If you are interested in applying for the program but have questions about the application process or eligibility requirements, contact program staff at [email protected].
Projects conducted by agriculture and bio-industrial processors must have a minimum total project investment of $2 million.
Industry organizations do not have a minimum total project investment value.
Eligible projects must include one or a combination of the following activities:
- equipment and engineering related to new processing facilities and significant expansion projects that increase processing capacity in Alberta
- initiatives that explore market opportunities and directly address barriers to export and new market access
- activities that promote collaboration amongst companies to grow the sector
- any other activity deemed eligible by the Minister that supports an emerging opportunity in the sector
How to apply
- While intake is continuous, applicants may only apply upon invitation from the department.
- Interested applicants can contact the program area directly to discuss if their project meets the objectives of the program. If the project is deemed a fit, the applicant will be invited to submit a letter of request to the program.
- The program area will prepare recommendations for minister based on project alignment with assessment criteria and available funding.
Connect with the Emerging Opportunities Program team:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Email: [email protected]
Sign up for updates
Enter your email address to receive program updates and the e-newsletter.
Any personal information that is provided to the Sustainable Canadian Agriculture Partnership (Sustainable CAP) will be used for the purpose of determining and assessing the applicant’s eligibility to apply for funding under Sustainable CAP and also to support ongoing evaluation of the Sustainable CAP.
Any personal information collected is in accordance with section 33 (c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the FOIP Act) (RSA 2000,C.F-25) and will be protected under Part 2 of the Act.
The personal information may be disclosed to the Federal Government for the purpose of administration and evaluation of the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership framework.
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.