Since the 1970s, Calgary’s population has doubled and traffic volumes continue to increase. Today Deerfoot Trail is the busiest road in Alberta and serves more than 180,000 vehicles per day.
Improvements are planned for:
- 64 Avenue NE and McKnight Boulevard
- 11 Street NE
- Memorial Drive and 17 Avenue SE
- Glenmore Trail
- Southland Drive
- Anderson Road / Bow Bottom Trail
In July 2022, we did not award the public-private partnership to upgrade Deerfoot Trail after determining this approach was not economically viable.
In November 2022, we amended our existing public-private partnership procurement process to address critical improvements on Deerfoot Trail. The process will continue with the pre-qualified teams. The successful proponent will be selected and the contract will be awarded in spring 2023.
- Major Deerfoot Trail upgrades will improve travel (November 18, 2022)
- Deerfoot Trail improvements move ahead (August 22, 2022)
- Cancellation of Deerfoot Trail P3: Minister Panda (July 12, 2022)
- August 2022 – tender for 64 Avenue NE and McKnight Boulevard improvements posted. Construction will occur in 2023.
- November 2022 – major design-build expansion project moving forward. The contract will be awarded in spring 2023, and construction is planned for 2023. Construction is expected to be completed in 2027.
- Future smaller-scale Deerfoot Trail improvements are expected to be tendered individually, with construction planned for 2023.
For more information or to sign up for project updates, visit Deerfoot Trail Improvements.
For more information on Deerfoot Trail:
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.