- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 40+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
There are many insects that affect various crops throughout Alberta. Read the following information and resources to learn more about these insects and their:
- life cycle
- crop damage
Prominent crop pests
High risk insect pest species with the potential to cause major crop losses that are actively monitored, surveyed and predicted.
- Bertha Armyworm
- Cabbage Seedpod Weevil
- Diamondback Moth
- Pea Leaf Weevil
- Wheat Midge
- Wheat Stem Sawfly
Other crop pests
Insect pest species with the potential to cause crop loss in isolated fields or parts of fields and rarely affect wide areas.
- Cabbage Maggot
- Canola Flower Midge
- Cereal Leaf Beetle
- Cereal Aphid
- Lesser Grain Borer
- Lygus Bugs
- Swede Midge (Contarinia nasturtii)
- Video: Building a Swede Midge Trap
- Wheat Leaf Miner (PDF, 98 KB)
For a listing of insect pest species that are a major threat to cause crop and ornamental plant loss, but are not currently found in Alberta, please visit the Alberta Insect Pest Monitoring Network page.
Pest species of greenhouse and horticultural field crops.