- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Vaccines open now: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions.
Choice Time enrollment is currently closed.
The annual Choice Time open enrollment period is from late-May to mid-June and gives eligible employees the chance to make changes to their MyCHOICE or 1stchoice benefit plan coverage. Changes made during the Choice Time open enrollment period will be effective the first day of the pay period that includes July 1.
Choice Time open enrollment information will be available on this webpage, on myAPS, and in the MyCHOICE Handbook (PDF, 1.5 MB) and 1stchoice Handbook (PDF, 1.2 MB). There will be information and reminders in MyAGent News, Connector Now and paycheque messages prior to, during and immediately following the open enrollment period. Individual communication is not provided to employees.
For more benefit plan information, including premium rates for plans, see Alberta Public Service benefits programs.
The following change options are available within the Choice Time open enrollment period.
|Benefit Plan||Choice Time change options|
|Extended Medical Benefits Plan||
|Prescription Drug Plan||
|Dependent Life Insurance||
- You can also change the coverage class from Single to Family or Family to Single during the Choice Time Open Enrollment period.
- You can set up each benefit plan to align with your specific requirements:
- Some benefits can be single coverage while others are family coverage. For example, you could have family Dental coverage and single Extended Medical and Prescription Drugs coverage
- Some benefits can be Core coverage while others are Enhanced coverage. For example, you could have Enhanced Prescription Drugs and Enhanced Dental and Core Extended Medical coverage
- You can only reduce your coverage one level during Choice Time. For example, you cannot reduce your coverage from Enhanced to Opted Out. You would only be able to reduce one level from Enhanced to Core coverage.
There is a locked-in period under the Enhanced Dental Plan, which means you must pass one Choice Time before you can decrease the coverage to Core.
Changing benefits outside of Choice Time
Benefits can only be changed:
- during the Choice Time enrollment period
- within 31 days of a recognized Life Event
For details about Life Events, see the employee handbook that is relevant to you:
- MyCHOICE Handbook (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- MyCHOICE Handbook for visually impaired (DOCX, 147 KB)
- 1stchoice Handbook (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- 1stchoice Handbook for visually impaired (DOCX, 149 KB)
- To update your Life Insurance Beneficiary, fill out the Designation of Beneficiary (PDF, 239 KB) and forward it to your Pay and Benefits contact.
- To update your Pension Beneficiary, see the Alberta Pension Services Corporation website and select ‘Forms and Information Sheets’. Send the completed form to the Alberta Pension Services Corporation.
- To update your Life Insurance Beneficiary, fill out the Designation of Beneficiary (PDF, 234 KB) and forward it to your Pay and Benefits contact.
- To update your Pension Beneficiary, see the Alberta Pension Services Corporation website below that applies to you and select ‘Forms and Information Sheets’. Send the completed form to the Alberta Pension Services Corporation.
How to make changes during open enrollment period
Step 1. Sign in to MyAgent
Step 2. Navigate to Benefits Enrollment
- Click on Employee Tools
- Click on My Toolbox
- Click on Benefits
- Click on Benefits Enrollment
Step 3. Review and change your benefits enrollment
If it is currently Choice Time you will be able to access a series of webpages that allow you to review and change your benefit plan coverage online.
If you are away during the open enrolment period
You can make changes through any computer with internet access, even if you are away.
If you cannot access MyAgent
If you cannot access MyAgent, contact the GoA Time and Benefits Support Line.
If you accidentally enrolled in the wrong plan
If you accidentally enrolled in the wrong plan and have submitted the changes, contact the GoA Time and Benefits Support Line.
You must contact the GoA Time and Benefits Support Line within one pay period after the open enrollment period ends to make corrections to your benefit changes.
Connect with the GoA Time and Benefits Support Line: