Part of Land titles

Change land title ownership

Find out how to change or remove a name on a land title.


You can change or remove a name on a land title for various reasons.

The following forms are the most common documents used to change ownership of land or property.

How to change a title ownership

Step 1. Fill out the form you need

Add or remove a name

The form must be signed by all of the current registered owners.

Remove a deceased joint tenant

You must include the original or a notarized copy of one of the following certificates:

  • Vital Statistics Registry certificate
  • Medical Examiner’s certificate
  • funeral director’s certificate
  • cremation certificate
  • document issued by a comparable authority if the death occurred outside of Alberta.

Only an original death certificate will be returned to you, all other original certificates will be retained by Land Titles.

Remove a deceased tenant-in-common or sole owner

You must include an original filed copy of the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration from the Surrogate Court of Alberta. A notarized copy is unacceptable. If it has been issued from a court in a jurisdiction other than Alberta, it must be re-sealed by the Surrogate Court of Alberta.

Change of name

The form you need to fill out depends on why the name is being changed.

Step 2. Submit the form and documents

Mail your form and documents to:

Edmonton location

Box 2380
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2T3

Calgary location

Box 7575
Calgary, Alberta T2P 2R4


Connect with a Land Titles office:

Edmonton location

Phone: 780-427-2742

Office address:
John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 3W7

Mailing address:
Box 2380
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 2T3

Calgary location

Phone: 403-297-6511

Office address:
Service Alberta Building
710 4 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0K3

Mailing address:
Box 7575
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 2R4