To cancel your vehicle registration, go to a registry agent and fill out the Licence Plate / Parking Placard Cancellation form (PDF, 180 KB). You will need to bring:

You can also find a registry agent and mail them the following:

  • a written request signed by all registrants shown on the registration certificate
  • a photocopy of your driver’s licence
  • your current address, so the refund can be mailed to you
  • a written verification issued by the jurisdiction you are surrendering your plate to
    • if you are outside of Alberta, and the jurisdiction doesn’t take your plate, mail it with your request
  • the registry agent service fee

A $10.00 (+GST) cancellation fee will be deducted from the refund.

If you are eligible for a refund, you will receive a cheque in the mail in approximately 4-6 weeks.

If you move to another province and exchange your licence plate, you can send a letter to a registry agent to cancel your registration and have the refund mailed to you.

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.