A requirement of sports and recreation operating grant programs is that organizational recipients have a 3 to 5-year Strategic Plan. As such, please see resources below to assist in developing a strategic plan.
Strategic Planning 101 – Building your Strategic Plan
- Webinar Recording
- PowerPoint (PDF, 439 KB)
- Strategic Plan Example – AthletesCAN (PDF, 630 KB)
- Active Alberta Policy
- Canadian Sport Policy 2012
- Framework for Recreation in Canada (PDF, 677 KB)
- A Common Vision for increasing physical activity and reducing sedentary living in Canada: Let’s Get Moving
Further assistance in developing your strategic plan can be obtained by contacting the Community Development Unit.
Implementing Your Strategic Plan
Developing Your Strategic Plan
- Strategic Plan Development (PDF, 839 KB)
Business development and management
Find templates, guidance and information on building your Association, marketing, sales, membership, fundraising and best business practices.
The environment in which sport and recreation associations and parks and wildlife related organizations operate and deliver their programs and services is continuously changing.
In an effort to support these organizations as they develop, maintain and implement effective governance practices, the following resources may be helpful:
- Sport Governance from SIRC
- Board Development Program
- The Board Development Program is a unique service that provides assistance to not-for-profit boards in the area of governance through workshops, consultations, volunteer training, presentations and community collaborations.
GST / HST information for non-profit organizations
See the Canada Revenue Agency page: GST / HST Information for Non-profit Organizations
The Board Governance Guidebook can help your organization perform oversight functions consistently, effectively, and transparently.