The Alberta Transportation IRP Online System (ATIOS) is used to administer, calculate and disburse fees to national and international jurisdictions through the International Registration Plan (IRP). It is also used for maintaining and verifying vehicle, fleet and carrier information, as well as receiving and tracking applications from Alberta carriers.
More information about ATIOS and IRP processes is available in the ATIOS fact sheet (PDF, 512 KB).
New carriers can apply for an IRP account if they:
- meet the criteria on the Established Place of Business Questionnaire (PDF, 143 KB)
- travel in Alberta and will travel in at least one other IRP member jurisdiction
- operate one or more vehicles
Vehicles under 11,794 kg (26,000 lbs)
Vehicles having a gross vehicle weight of 11,794 kg (26,000 lbs) or less may be registered under the Plan at the option of the registrant.
Vehicles with farm plates
Vehicles with farm plates cannot be prorated but can be registered.
A commercial registration is required if using a farm vehicle for commercial purposes. Clients who choose to register their vehicle for both farming and commercial business activities must use clear fuel commercially.
Farm registrations are recognized by Canadian jurisdictions and some United States jurisdictions. Check with each jurisdiction before travelling.
How to apply
Step 1. Apply for a Safety Fitness Certificate, if applicable
New carriers commercially registering a vehicle must apply for a Safety Fitness Certificate (SFC).
New IRP carriers with a provincial SFC
New IRP carriers with a provincial SFC must apply to Carrier Services to change their operating status to ‘federal’ before they process their prorate invoice at a Registry.
Room 401, 4920 51 Street
Red Deer, Alberta T4N 6K8
Step 2. Review the new client package
- New client package (see Prorate services – Forms, instructions, guides and updates)
- Prorate Information Guide
Step 3. Complete the application package
Complete all required forms in the new client package (see Prorate services – Forms, instructions, guides and updates) and collect supporting documentation.
Step 4. Submit the application package
Submit your completed forms and supporting documentation in one email to [email protected].
Step 5. Log in to ATIOS
If you do not yet have a MyAlberta Digital ID for Business (MADIB) account you must first sign up for one:
- Register for an account by going to the MADIB Sign Up page and click “Sign Up”.
- Fill in the requested information and click “Submit”.
- You will receive a registration confirmation email. The “Complete Registration” link within email must be clicked within 96 hours to complete the registration process.
- For further instructions or support, refer to Creating a MyAlberta Digital ID for Business Account (PDF, 531 KB).
Once your prorate account is approved, you will receive an email with temporary ATIOS login credentials. Upon logging into ATIOS you will be redirected and must sign into MADIB to link your account. From then on, you will access ATIOS exclusively through the MADIB link on the ATIOS login page.
For more information or instructions on signing into ATIOS and MADIB, refer to the ATIOS MADIB Fact Sheet (PDF, 681 KB)
Connect with Prorate Services:
Hours: 8:15 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]
1st Floor, 803 Manning Road NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 7M8