Honey Bee Pests and Diseases
This comprehensive guide helps beekeepers to identify and control bee diseases and pests.
Alberta Farm Animal Care – Alberta beekeeper handbook
The Alberta Beekeepers Education and Enhancement Program has developed a comprehensive handbook on the art of beekeeping.
Bee Health app
For Android and iPhone, this mobile app provides pictures, symptoms and other scientific information on honey bee diseases and pests.
Alberta Tech Transfer Program
The Alberta Beekeepers Commission, through its Technology Transfer Program (TTP), provides disease diagnostics, hive monitoring/sampling services, education and training to beekeepers in Alberta, bridging the gap between science and its practical application.
Need a swarm removed? Contact your local beekeeping group/association below.
Did we miss your beekeeping group or association? To request adding your website to our honey bee resources, contact [email protected]
Colony and disease management
Honey bee disease fact sheets and documents
- American Foulbrood Guide
- European Foulbrood Guide
- European Foulbrood: Quick facts
- Honey Bee Pests and Diseases – Bee Health Assurance Team
- Honey Bee Diseases and Pests Third Edition – CAPA
Beekeeper management resources
- Alberta Farm Animal Care – Alberta BEE Keeper Handbook (PDF, 33 MB)
- Beekeeper/owner preparations for dealing with vehicle accidents
- Beekeeping in Western Canada
- Bloom guide: hybrid seed canola
- Federal labelling requirements for honey
- Federal Safe Food for Canadians Act
- Federal Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
- Honey Bee Producer Guide to the National Bee Farm-level Biosecurity Standard
- Provincial Honey Grading Regulation
- Purchasing honey bees or equipment in Alberta: questions to ask and things to consider
- Responding to accidents involving honey bees: a guide for first responders
- Seed canola pollinators: a communication guide for agronomists and beekeepers
- Seed canola pollinators: a communication guide for seed companies and growers
- Should I Get Honey Bees: Things to Consider
Need a swarm removed? Contact your local beekeeping association.
Statistics and survey data
Alberta's beekeeping industry
- Bee Health Assurance Team Inspection Summaries
- Economics of Beekeeping in Alberta
- Livestock statistics
- Potential economic impact of European and American foulbrood on Alberta’s beekeeping industry
- Statistics and Data Development Branch: Alberta beekeepers’ survey results
National industry statistics
Canadian honey bee technology transfer programs
- Alberta – Alberta Tech Transfer Program
- British Columbia – Technology Transfer Program
- Saskatchewan – Technology Adaptation Program
- Manitoba – Knowledge & Research Transfer Program
- Ontario – Technology Transfer Program
- Quebec – Deschambault Animal Science Research Center – Services-conseils
- Atlantic – Tech Transfer Team for Apiculture
Provincial and federal regulatory agencies
Honey bee laboratory testing facilities
- Alberta Beekeepers Education and Enhancement Program
- Alberta Farmers’ Market Association
- Alberta Honey Producers – Bee Maid Honey
- Canadian Association of Professional Apiculturists (CAPA)
- Canadian Honey Council (CHC)
- Pollinator Partnership Canada
- Seeds of Diversity
- University of Alberta
- University of Guelph
- University of Manitoba
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.