The Authorized Medicine Sales Regulation, under the Animal Health Act, describes the wholesale and retail licensing system process, the record keeping requirements, and operational procedures for the sale of authorized medicines.

For purposes related to the act, the regulation outlines:

  • licence application
  • qualification certificate
  • notice of appeal

Fees, offences, and penalties are also contained in the regulation.

Authorized medicines

A description / specific list of authorized medicines is found in section 14 of the regulation.

Apply for a licence

Sales outlets

All premises / outlets where authorized medicines are sold must be licensed as Authorized Medicine Sale Outlets (AMSO).

To apply for a licence, fill out and submit the appropriate application form below:

Personal qualifications

Each AMSO must have at least one person who is licensed as a 'Qualification Certificate' (QC) holder to be present or available for consultation at all times during regular business hours.

A person may obtain a QC licence upon demonstrating, to the satisfaction of government regulators, a basic understanding of the proper use of authorized production animal medicines by way of examination.

Exam schedule

See the Exam Schedule 2019 (PDF, 30 KB) or Exam Schedule 2020 (PDF, 214 KB) to request to write a QC examination.

Certificate study manual

This Qualification Certificate Home Study Manual (PDF, 916 KB) is a learning tool designed to provide information that is necessary for those who are interested in becoming QC holders.

  • questions on the QC exam are based on the review questions at the end of each section of the manual. Answers to the review questions may be found in Appendix 'A'

The Qualification Certificate Home Study Manual is also a convenient resource that informs and educates QC holders who dispense medicine at AMSOs in the proper use and handling of medicine in order that they may assist livestock producers in ensuring a safe food supply.

Food safety

The Authorized Medicine Sales Regulation (AMSR) supports animal health and safe food production from animals in 2 ways:

  • AMSR regulates the wholesale distribution of authorized medicine to authorized medicine sales outlets (AMSOs)

AMSR also regulates the manner in which authorized medicine may be sold to the public. In this way, public confidence in both authorized medicine sales and it role in supporting both animal health and food safety is maintained.

The roles and responsibilities of QC holders and AMSO licensees have limitations. QC holders and AMSO shall not provide livestock producers with specific information pertaining to disease diagnosis or drug prescription. Rather, such matters come exclusively within the role of the registered veterinarian. For this reason, this manual will not describe specific disease conditions or recommend treatments.


Livestock medicines contribute to production animal health and the production of safe food and food products that originate from agricultural animals. The proper use of drugs or medicines is beneficial in alleviating animal suffering through the treatment and prevention of disease. Production animals include not only those animals that are used for slaughter for food or food products, but also horses and other animals used in the pollination of crops.

On the other hand, the improper use of drugs may cause harm and unnecessary suffering in animals. For example, antibiotics must be carefully selected and used in order to treat bacterial infections effectively.

Consumer protection also plays a role in the regulation of livestock medicines because consumers expect and demand that food products be wholesome, and free of disease or drug residues.

At all times, livestock producers are encouraged to work with and under the guidance of a registered veterinarian so that their animals are in the best possible health. As animal health experts, veterinarians play an important role in the diagnosis and treatment of animal disease and health maintenance.

In the event a producer has any concerns or is unsure of how a production animal should be cared for or its health maintained, the producer should always consult with a veterinarian registered with the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA). Only certain types of veterinary medicines may be distributed or sold over the counter, rather than by way of a prescription written by a registered veterinarian.


Connect with the Ag-Info Centre:

Hours: 8 am to 5 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 310-FARM (3276)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]