Benefit plans help government employees pay for health services that are not part of the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan, which provides universal health care for all Albertans. The benefit plans also provide disability and life insurance services.
The Alberta Public Service offers 2 benefits programs for employees, based on their type of employment:
- MyCHOICE Benefits Program for Government of Alberta Bargaining Unit (union) employees
- 1stchoice Benefits Program for management, opted out and excluded government employees
Both plans include:
- Group Life Insurance Plan
- Dental Plan
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Extended Medical Benefits Plan
- Long Term Disability Income Continuance (LTDI) Plan
Read more about your plan and coverage options in the:
- MyCHOICE Handbook (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- MyCHOICE Handbook for visually impaired (DOCX, 147 KB)
- 1stchoice Handbook (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- 1stchoice Handbook for visually impaired (DOCX, 149 KB)
The premiums are deducted on a bi-weekly basis from the employee's bi-weekly salary. There are separate bi-weekly premium rates for Core (single or family) or Enhanced (single or family) coverage for each of the plans. Family rates will include the employee and all eligible dependents who are enrolled.
Premiums for different plan choices are available in the following rate sheets:
- MyCHOICE Premium Rate sheet (PDF, 201 KB) (effective June 28, 2020)
- 1stchoice Premium Rate sheet (PDF, 372 KB) (effective June 28, 2020)
Group Life Insurance
The Government of Alberta employee group life insurance policy provides coverage for:
- Core Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance, which is mandatory and cost-shared by your employer
- Paid Up Life Insurance for eligible retired or terminated employees (for employees who have accrued service prior to April 1, 2012), which is funded by your Core Life insurance and provided at no cost to you
You can choose to pay for optional, additional coverage:
- Enhanced life insurance
- Dependent life insurance
Explore the coverage options available to you:
- MyCHOICE – Group Life Insurance Plan Information (PDF, 399 KB)
- 1stchoice – Group Life Insurance Plan Information (PDF, 459 KB)
Critical Illness Insurance
Critical Illness Insurance applies to employees age 18-65 who are covered under the "1st choice" Enhanced Life Insurance policy.
For more details, see Critical Illness Insurance (PDF, 112 KB).
The Dental Plan provides coverage for 3 types of services:
- basic care
- major services
- orthodontic care
Different levels of coverage are available to help you tailor your dental benefits to meet your and your family's needs.
Explore the dental coverage options available to you:
Prescription Drug Plan
The Prescription Drug Plan helps make medication costs more manageable.
Explore the prescription drug coverage options available to you:
- MyCHOICE – Prescription Drug Plan Information (PDF, 426 KB)
- 1stchoice – Prescription Drug Plan Information (PDF, 458 KB)
Extended Medical Benefits Plan
Extended medical benefits help you pay for certain medical services, supplies and products that either are not covered, or have limited coverage, under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP).
Explore the extended medical services coverage options available to you:
- MyCHOICE – Extended Medical Plan Handbook (PDF, 405 KB)
- 1stchoice – Extended Medical Plan Handbook (PDF, 409 KB)
Long Term Disability Income Continuance (LTDI) Plan
See the Long Term Disability Income Continuance page.
Health Spending Account
The Health Spending Account (HSA) is a non-taxable benefit that complements the traditional group benefit program (1stchoice) to help you manage your health-related expenses. Employees eligible to participate in the 1stchoice group benefits program are eligible for the HSA.
Credits can be used to cover health and dental expenses that are either partially covered or are not covered by the benefit programs and are considered eligible by the Canada Revenue Agency.
For more information on how the HSA works, which expenses are eligible, and how to make a claim, see the HSA Guide relevant to you.
- 1stchoice HSA Guide for Management and Non-Union Employees (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- 1stchoice HSA Guide – Word version for visually impaired (DOC, 140 KB)
For information about specific circumstances and cases, see:
- HSA: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 164 KB)
- HSA: FAQ – Word version for visually impaired (DOC, 93 KB)
Flexible Spending Account
The Government of Alberta Bargaining Unit has implemented a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for Bargaining Unit (union) employees effective April 1, 2020. If you are eligible to participate in the MyCHOICE group benefits program, you are eligible for the FSA.
The FSA includes the existing non-taxable Health Spending Account (HSA) and the additional taxable Wellness Spending Account (WSA). The FSA consists of an annual credit allotment provided to eligible employees for expenses not covered by their benefit plan. You can allocate credits to either your HSA, your WSA or a combination of both. For more information, see:
- Flexible Spending Account Guide (PDF, 192 KB) (for bargaining unit employees)
- Wellness Spending Account Eligible Expenses Reference Guide (PDF, 91 KB)
- Ministerial Order No. 01/2020 – Health Spending Account Plan
- Ministerial Order No. 02/2020 – Flexible Spending Account Plan
Retirement plans and programs
See the APS pensions and retirement page.
See the Benefits forms and resources page.