COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
The Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC) works to ensure that Alberta has a trusted automotive marketplace.
AMVIC is transitioning to a public agency, meaning that the majority of board members will represent the public.
This change will also improve governance and reporting requirements to ensure duties are carried out in the public interest. The transition will be complete in fall of 2018.
Roles and responsibilities
AMVIC protects consumers when they are buying, repairing or co-signing a vehicle and works to ensure businesses do not have to unfairly compete against those who don't play by the rules.
As Alberta’s automotive industry regulator, AMVIC is responsible for:
- providing consumer protection in the motor vehicle industry
- licensing businesses and salespeople
- ensuring there's a fair marketplace for consumers and businesses
- investigating violations of consumer protection laws
Board of Directors
AMVIC directors will be appointed by the Minister of Service Alberta and industry associations.
- 7 directors from the public appointed by the Minister of Service Alberta, one of which will be designated as chair by the minister
- 5 directors representing each of the industry associations, including:
- Motor Dealers’ Association of Alberta
- Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association of Alberta
- Canadian Independent Automotive Association (Alberta Chapter)
- Auctioneers' Association of Alberta
- Alberta Automotive Recyclers and Dismantlers Association
- One industry-at-large director appointed by the industry members
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints regarding Alberta's automotive industry, please contact:
AMVIC Consumer Services
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.