Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Alberta heritage markers are interpretive signs that highlight the significant people, places, events and themes that have shaped and defined the province’s history.
The program is currently offering markers ideally suited for placement along trails and sidewalks as shown below.
Apply for a heritage marker
Any individual, organization or municipality can submit a proposal for a heritage marker.
The proposed topic must be of provincial significance. Preference is given to those that are currently underrepresented among existing markers.
The program works as a partnership between the Alberta government and the public. Each plays an important role bringing a heritage marker project to completion.
The Alberta government covers design, fabrication and installation costs.
Step 1. Complete an application form
Apply for a heritage marker (PDF, 81 KB)
- You propose a topic and location for the heritage marker.
- If the proposed location is on private land, you provide consent of the landowner.
Step 2. Evaluating a proposed marker
- We review the application and make a recommendation to the Alberta government.
- The Alberta government approves or rejects the application and notifies the applicant by mail.
Step 3: Designing the marker
- We work with you to write the text and choose images.
- We design the marker and get your feedback.
Step 4: Fabricating and installing the marker
- We arrange the fabrication of the marker.
- We meet with you to clearly mark the installation site.
- We arrange for the installation of the marker.
Connect with the Heritage Marker Program:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-431-2300 (in Alberta)
Toll free: dial 310-0000 before the number
Email: [email protected]
Old St. Stephen’s College
8820 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2P8
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.