Building a legacy
The Century Farm and Ranch Award and 125-Year Farm Recognition
Farming and ranching consist of hard work and sacrifice, combined with a healthy dose of energy and unrelenting faith. This spirit and vision, complemented by a new land of limitless natural resources is what brought our ancestors to Alberta. They settled the land to build the family farm or ranch – the place many of you continue to call home today.
Keeping the farm or ranch actively operating from generation to generation is an impressive achievement for any Alberta family. Agriculture and Irrigation recognizes these special families who built the foundation of prairie farming and ranching. The contributions they have made to Alberta's agriculture sector is immeasurable. Their dedication to agriculture, family and rural communities has helped build a vibrant and sustainable agriculture industry in our province.
In 2020, the Alberta government recognized the Burton Family of Claresholm, Alberta, for owning and operating Burke Creek Ranch for 130 years.
Read their story, learn the history of the Century Farm and Ranch Award program, and find resources for supporting your farm's history.
How recipients are honoured
In addition to provincial recognition, successful applicants will receive a custom-made, cast bronze plaque to mark this significant milestone.
In 2018, the 125-Year Farm Recognition component was launched to recognize farms and ranches going back to 1885. Recipients are presented with an honourary certificate, personally signed by the Premier and the Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation and housed in a formal presentation folder. There is no requirement for establishment documents. The family must have already been awarded the Century Farm and Ranch Award and still own and operate the land at the time of application.
Today, more than 1970 farms have been awarded with the Century Farm and Ranch plaque and over 40 have received both the Century plaque and the 125-Year Farm Recognition Certificate.
Figure 1. The plaques are 10 inches by 14 inches in size, and are suitable for mounting outdoors. Successful applicants will be provided with a plaque design proof for their review and approval, prior to plaque being ordered. It will be delivered in 12 to 16 weeks.
- a family member is still actively farming the land at the time of application
- the quarter section you are applying for has not been subdivided
- the quarter section you are applying for has not been cash rented to a non-family member during its 100-year or 125-year history
- the quarter section you’re applying for has not been rented to a non-family member during its 100-year or 125-year history
100 year farm recognition
- your family has continuously owned and actively operated the same land for 100 years or more
125 year farm recognition
- Applicants for the 125 Year Farm Recognition must have previously been awarded with the Alberta Century Farm and Ranch award under this program. A current title document proving farm ownership will be obtained by program staff.
For more information on award eligibility, including limited exceptions, see the Alberta Century Farm and Ranch Award guidelines and application form. (PDF, 1.3 MB)
How to apply
To apply for the 100 year and/or 125 year award, farm families can follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill out application form
Download and complete the form:
- Our staff will obtain and verify homestead and current land titles on your behalf, and perform a corporate registry search if the land is owned by a company.
- Learn about historical documents that support your application in our Century Farm and Ranch Award history publication.
Step 2. Send in application
Mail your completed application to: [email protected]
Step 3. After you apply
Staff will review the application, including obtaining and verifying supporting documentation. They may contact you to clarify certain information. Supporting documents include:
- homestead documents
- current land title
- corporate registry (if the land is owned by a company)
Get to know the families who have built the foundation of prairie farming and ranching in Alberta. See our interactive Alberta Century Farm and Ranch Award Dashboard.
Connect with the program:
Alberta Century Farm and Ranch Award Program
Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation
4809 44 Avenue
Stony Plain, Alberta T7Z 1N4
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.