Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
The Age-friendly Alberta Recognition Award acknowledges communities who have taken steps to become more age-friendly. Recipients will receive:
- written acknowledgement of your community's accomplishment from the Minister
- national and international recognition for your community’s commitment to becoming an age-friendly community
- membership into the World Health Organization’s Global Network of Age-Friendly Cities and Communities
“Age-friendly” is the idea of making structures and services more accessible and inclusive for seniors with varying needs and capacities. For example, improving lighting in public parks or developing alternative transportation services.
Age-friendly practices help strengthen communities, improve businesses and make life better for all Albertans.
All Alberta communities are encouraged to take steps towards becoming more age-friendly and to apply for recognition for your initiative.
How to apply
Step 1: Establish an age-friendly initiative for your community
Read and follow the 4 steps for creating an age-friendly initiative.
Step 2: Complete the application package
Fill out the Age-Friendly Alberta Recognition application form (PDF, 43 KB)
Attach or provide links to these required supporting materials:
- committee terms of reference
- Council/Board resolution
- needs assessment
- action plan
Step 3: Submit the completed application
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Mail or email the nomination package to:
Age-Friendly Alberta Recognition Program
PO Box 1360, Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2N3
Email: [email protected]
After you apply
Department representatives will contact you following a review of your application.
- Strathcona County
- City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Seniors Coordinating Council – Age-Friendly Edmonton
- City of Calgary – Age-Friendly Calgary
- Villages of Glenwood, Hill Spring and Cardston County
- City of Lethbridge
- City of Beaumont
- Town of Olds
Connect with Seniors Strategies and Program Support:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.