Table of contents


Your learning experience doesn’t end when you graduate from your program. Your post-secondary institution can help you figure out what to do next.

Credential and transcript

Your academic parchment is an official document issued by your institution to certify that you’ve completed your diploma, certificate or degree. It is a piece of paper that identifies the credential you’ve earned and includes:

  • your name
  • the institution’s name
  • the date
  • the institution’s official seal

You will also receive an official transcript of your academic record that summarizes your grades. Keep both of these documents in a safe place.
Contact your institution to:

  • request an official transcript
  • reprint your parchment
  • verify proof of graduation

Find a job

Some, but not all, institutions provide job search support services to students after they graduate. Ask your institution if they provide this service.

Access job search resources

The alis website can help you at every stage of the career planning process. You can also:

When you're on a study permit

If you have a study permit and are not sure what you need to do after you finish or leave your program, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Repay student loans

Student aid loans are interest-free until you leave or graduate from your program.

  • interest on Canada student loans starts accruing immediately after you stop studying full-time
  • Alberta student loans stay interest-free for 6 months after you graduate

You are responsible for repaying your loans, even if you don't find a job right away.

How to repay your student loans

Visit Alberta Student Aid for information on repaying your student loan.

Building a household budget for after you graduate is just as important as having a budget while you study. Having a plan in place can help you make your student loan payments while meeting your ongoing expenses. If money is tight, repayment assistance could help.

Stay connected

After you graduate or leave your program, it's important to ensure your institution has your updated contact information. You'll need to stay in touch in order to:

Confirm your employment status

Publicly funded post-secondary institutions and private career colleges in Alberta report their graduate employment rates to the provincial government. To do that, they need to know if you found a job after you graduated, and if that job is related to your area of study.

Participate in a satisfaction survey

You may be contacted by a research group to share confidential feedback about your post-secondary program and its value. Your participation in this survey is important, as it helps the provincial government assess:

  • demographic information about adult learners
  • student satisfaction with their learning
  • student goals when taking adult learning programs (and if those goals were met)
  • how students pay for their education

Read the latest survey results.


Connect with the Public Awareness Branch:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-643-6393
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-422-1263
Email: [email protected]

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on