Alberta regulates the construction and operation of designated municipal wastewater systems, along with municipal waterworks and storm drainage systems under the authority of the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA).
- Interim Guidance to Authorize Reuse of Municipal and Industrial Wastewater
These interim policies around wastewater and water reuse are in place while a broader provincial reuse policy is being developed.
- Standards and Guidelines for Municipal Waterworks, Wastewater and Storm Drainage Systems
The standards and guidelines document outlines the minimum requirements that must be applied in the design, operation and performance of wastewater systems. It also provides recommended guidelines for design and operation of wastewater systems and storm drainage systems.
- Municipal Policies and Procedures Manual
This manual provides detailed information for all new or expanded municipal wastewater systems – effluent limits will be based on adopting the more stringent requirement of technology or water quality based assessments. This policy outlines the requirements to prevent/control pollution, and the procedures to determine the effluent limits.
- Activities Designation Regulation
- Approvals and Registrations Procedure Regulation
- Environmental Appeal Board Regulation
- Wastewater and Storm Drainage (Ministerial) Regulation (AR 120/93)
- Wastewater and Storm Drainage Regulation (AR 119/93)
For more information on the legislation or system performance, contact Environment and Parks.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.