The Commercial Vehicle Safety Regulation requires commercial vehicles to comply with vehicle standards and stay in good working order with regular maintenance.
- School buses must comply with the requirements of the Canadian Standards Association School Buses Standard (CSA D-250).
- Buses and trucks with a licensed mass of more than 11,794 kg must complete trip inspection reports and carry the applicable schedule from the National Safety Code Standard 13 (NSC-13).
- Trucks with a licensed mass of more than 4500 kg must secure cargo in accordance with the National Safety Code Standard 10 (NSC-10).
- Carriers are required to have an effective maintenance and inspection program.
- Outlines school bus operation requirements.
- Allows the operation of Mobile Treatment Centres on a roadway when an ambulance is not available.
- Allows the operation of driveaway and towaway combinations for the transportation of new vehicles to dealerships.
The Vehicle Equipment Regulation establishes the equipment standards and requirements for all vehicles, from large commercial truck combinations to bicycles operating on our roadways:
- lighting and reflector requirements for motor vehicles and trailers – headlamps, tail lamps, brake lamps, signal lamps, side marker lamps, identification lamps, and license plate lamps
- flashing lamp standards for police vehicles, ambulances, fire fighting vehicles, tow trucks, schools buses, and other vehicles
- seat belts, child restraint systems, and occupant restraint systems
- other equipment including horns, mufflers, mudguards, windows and windshields, mirrors, speedometers and odometers, bumpers, and more
- allows recreational vehicle combination up to 20 metres in length
- bicycle and motorcycle helmets
Alberta’s Off-Highway Vehicle Regulation establishes the equipment standards, registration and operation requirements for the use of off-highway vehicles:
- registration and license plate requirements and fees
- age restrictions for operation and registration
- lighting requirements for headlamps and tail lamps
- muffler requirements
- helmet requirements
- 30 day registration exemption for visitors
- insurance exemptions for trappers and fishers
Motorbikes and mopeds
Find definitions for power bicycles and mopeds in Alberta's Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation.
- Recreational Vehicle Towing Guide
- Rules and Regulations Applying to Small Vehicles
- Safe Transportation of Farm Equipment in Alberta
To view or obtain specific vehicle standards, visit:
- Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators
- Canadian Standards Association
- Society of Automotive Engineers
Connect with Vehicle Standards:
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]
Main Floor, Twin Atria Building
4999 98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Vehicle Inspection Program – Commercial vehicles
Vehicle Inspection Program – Technicians and facilities
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.