Tuition and non-instructional fee increases at public post-secondary institutions in Alberta are subject to the following rules:
- Tuition remains frozen for 2019-20 and will not increase until the next academic year, beginning in September 2020
- An institution’s average tuition and apprenticeship fee increases cannot increase by more than 7% each year for the next three years
- An institution cannot increase tuition for any single program by more than 10% each year
- Students must be given the opportunity to provide input into tuition and fee increases
- International students have a guaranteed rate of tuition for the standard length of their programs
The Minister of Advanced Education also has the authority to regulate mandatory non-instructional fees, set apprenticeship fees and approve exceptional tuition increases.
More details can be found in the Alberta tuition framework.
If you have questions about the upcoming changes to post-secondary education in Alberta, please email [email protected].
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.