- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Many Albertans 16+ are now eligible to get vaccinated. Book your shot.
Administration and governance
Administration and governance workshops
We provide workshops on various municipal administration and governance topics on request.
Workshops that can be requested include:
- Roles and Responsibilities of Municipal Officials
- Actions to Effective Communications
- Assessment, Taxation and Tax Recovery
- Procedures, Bylaws, Agendas and Minutes
Regional training sessions
The 2020 series of regional training sessions by Municipal Affairs are currently on hold. Updates on these training sessions will be posted here when they become available.
Planning and development
The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board Guidebook provides training and guidance to subdivision and development appeal boards, clerks and members to support the learning required to meet the obligations of provincial legislation to conduct subdivision/development appeal hearing process.
Elected Officials Education Program
The Elected Officials Education Program (EOEP) was developed and is jointly managed by the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association and Rural Municipalities of Alberta to provide professional development to elected officials and ensure they are well-positioned to serve their communities effectively.
Currently, there are 7 courses in the EOEP which includes Council’s Role in Municipal Service Delivery, Council’s Role in Land Use and Development Approvals, and Regional Partnerships and Collaboration.
Emergency management training is limited to municipal employees designated with a municipal emergency management role under the Emergency Management Act including volunteer firefighters.
Course offerings include:
- Municipal Elected Officials
- Basic Emergency Management
- Emergency Social Services
- Emergency Coordination Centre
- Scribing for Emergency Management
- Director of Emergency Management
- Incident command system (100, 200, 300, 400)
Safety Codes Council
The Safety Codes Council (SCC) is the accreditation body for safety codes officers in Alberta. The SCC provides training in 9 different disciplines covered under the Safety Codes Act which includes: amusement rides, buildings, electrical, elevators, fire, gas, passenger ropeways, plumbing and pressure equipment. Learn more about SCC training.