Alberta Transportation monitors commercial truck and bus carrier’s compliance with transportation laws and requirements. Alberta Transportation's Third Party Auditor Certification Program was created to meet the requirements for conducting commercial carrier safety fitness audits under the federal Motor Vehicle Transport Act and Alberta’s Traffic Safety Act.
Certified Third Party Auditors
Certified Third Party Auditors are certified to conduct:
- New Carrier Compliance Reviews
- Assessment of Compliance audits
- National Safety Code facility audits
- Verification audits
Alberta Transportation maintains a list of Certified Third Party Auditors (PDF, 246 KB) offering services within the province, as well as a list of suggested fees (PDF, 192 KB). Please note that Alberta Transportation does not set auditing or travel fees. Carriers should discuss their needs and expectations with several Certified Third Party Auditors prior to choosing the one that best meets their needs.
Third Party Auditor Recruitment Process
Third Party Auditors undergo strict screening, followed by a robust educational process which provides them with the necessary skills to conduct the different types of audits. Third Party Auditors must submit an application package to Alberta Transportation in order to be considered for certification. Please refer to our recruitment advertisement (PDF, 144 KB) for more detailed information.
Minimum qualifications and experience:
- minimum 2 years of auditing experience or relevant experience in the commercial transportation industry
- valid Class 5 driver’s license (or equivalent) and access to a vehicle
- strong understanding of Alberta’s transportation regulatory environment
- ability to provide a recent, acceptable Police Information Check
- minimum education - High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent
- Certificate of Incorporation or equivalent if not incorporated in Alberta
- appropriate commercial or business insurance
- experience handling confidential, sensitive or personal information
- fluency in English (written and spoken) is essential
- strong keyboarding skills and the ability to multi-task (typing while talking to clients)
- knowledge of Internet Explorer and Microsoft office products
Candidates must submit an application package to Alberta Transportation at email@example.com containing a resume, a detailed cover letter demonstrating how they meet all requirements, and three professional references.
Interview and Education
Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview that includes a test of skills and knowledge of transportation safety regulations. If successful, candidates will be invited to take part in the program’s educational component, which teaches the skills required to conduct the various types of audits.
New candidates will then be certified on a graduated scale to conduct auditing to Alberta Transportation’s standards. The first level of the graduated scale will prepare new auditors to conduct New Carrier Compliance Reviews (NCCRs). Once you have successfully completed 15 NCCRs, you will be invited to complete training related to National Safety Code, Verification Audits and Assessments of Compliance. Once this training is complete, you will be fully certified as a Third Party Auditor.
Program Support and Implementation
Room 401, 4920 51 Street
Red Deer, Alberta T4N 6K8
Connect with Carrier Services and sign up for updates.