Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Applications are no longer being accepted.
The Sport Participation Support Program provides financial assistance to not-for-profit organizations towards the development and operation of projects or programs that:
- increase sport opportunities for athletes, coaches, officials and volunteer leaders from under-represented and marginalized populations
- this would include groups such as girls and women, Indigenous populations, children and youth from economically disadvantaged families, persons with a disability, new Canadians, and youth at risk
- support projects strengthening physical literacy in children and youth participation that are compatible with the first 3 stages of the long-term development framework
To be eligible, you must be a registered organization in Alberta, in good standing, under one of these acts:
- provincial legislation
- Societies Act
- part 21 of the Business Corporations Act – Extra-provincial corporations
- Companies Act, Part 9 (Non-profit Companies)
- special act of the Alberta Legislature
- federal legislation
- Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, and must be registered in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act
- Income Tax Act and operating in the province of Alberta as a charity
- foundations established and regulated under the Regional Health Authorities Act
- universities, colleges and institutes as defined under the Post-secondary Learning Act
- First Nations and Metis Settlements
The Sport Participation Support Program is funded by the Government of Canada and Government of Alberta through the Sport Participation Bilateral Agreement.
Matching funds are not required. However, organizations must demonstrate a component of self-generated revenues, or other financial support in the grant application to demonstrate project sustainability.
Projects may span more than one year but must be completed by March 31, 2024.
Grant amounts will range from $15,000 to $40,000 per year for the duration of the program.
How to apply
Applications are open and accepted from September 20 to October 30, 2022.
Step 1 – Read the guidelines
Download and read the Sport Participation Support Program Application Guidelines (PDF, 541 KB)
Step 2 – Apply online
The online application includes 4 sections: organization profile, project profile, project budget, and declaration.
You may save and continue at any time while working online.
Connect with the Sport Physical Activity and Recreation Branch if you have questions:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.