Applications are no longer being accepted.
The Sport Participation Support Program provides financial assistance to not-for-profit organizations towards the development and operation of projects or programs that:
- increase sport opportunities for athletes, coaches, officials and volunteer leaders from under-represented and marginalized populations
- this would include groups such as girls and women, Indigenous populations, children and youth from economically disadvantaged families, persons with a disability, new Canadians, and youth at risk
- support projects strengthening physical literacy in children and youth participation that are compatible with the first 3 stages of the long-term development framework
To be eligible, you must be a registered organization in Alberta, in good standing, under one of these acts:
- provincial legislation
- Societies Act
- part 21 of the Business Corporations Act – Extra-provincial corporations
- Companies Act, Part 9 (Non-profit Companies)
- special act of the Alberta Legislature
- federal legislation
- Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, and must be registered in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act
- Income Tax Act and operating in the province of Alberta as a charity
- foundations established and regulated under the Regional Health Authorities Act
- universities, colleges and institutes as defined under the Post-secondary Learning Act
- First Nations and Metis Settlements
The Sport Participation Support Program is funded by the Government of Canada and Government of Alberta through the Sport Participation Bilateral Agreement.
Matching funds are not required. However, organizations must demonstrate a component of self-generated revenues, or other financial support in the grant application to demonstrate project sustainability.
Projects may span more than one year but must be completed by March 31, 2024.
Grant amounts will range from $15,000 to $40,000 per year for the duration of the program.
Connect with the Sport Physical Activity and Recreation Branch if you have questions:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.