The SGRR first came into effect in 2004, and requires facilities that emit 10,000 tonnes or more of specified gases to submit annual reports on their emissions.
Specified Gas Reporting Standard
The Specified Gas Reporting Standard details who is required to report specified gas emissions and how the information is collected. Facilities that are subject to reporting requirements under the SGRR must follow the requirements set out in the Specified Gas Reporting Standard.
Facilities subject to the SGRR report their emissions through the federal government’s Single Window Information Management (SWIM) System.
The reported information is used to inform policy development and for analysis and reporting purposes.
Alberta Greenhouse Gas Quantification Methodologies (AQM)
Quantification methodologies for emissions, production and other reported data are prescribed for facilities that are subject to the Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction Regulation and the Specified Gas Reporting Regulation.
- Alberta Greenhouse Gas Quantification Methodologies
- Quantification Methodologies for the Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation and the Specified Gas Reporting Regulation
- Record of Deviation Form (XLSX, 28 KB)
- Creating a Facility Boundary File Using Google Earth (PDF, 2.5 MB)
When reporting 2020 emissions in SWIM, Alberta facilities are able to select equation numbers corresponding to Alberta’s Quantification Methodologies for the Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation and Specified Gas Reporting Regulation (CCIR/SGRR QM). In some cases those equation numbers do not correspond to equation numbers in the updated Alberta Greenhouse Gas Quantification Methodologies because the SWIM system has not been updated to reference the new AQM for 2020 reporting.
The majority of equations and numbering in the AQM are the same as those provided in the CCIR/SGRR QM, but for the few cases where they do not align, the following table provides guidance for reporters to help them make the appropriate selections in SWIM.
- Lookup table to align AQM numbering with SWIM (PDF, 430 KB)
The finalized AQM includes the following chapters:
- Chapter 1 Stationary Fuel Combustion
- Chapter 4 Venting
- Chapter 5 On-Site Transportation
- Chapter 8 Industrial Processes
- Chapter 12 Imports
- Chapter 13 Production
- Chapter 14 Carbon Dioxide Emissions from Combustion of Biomass
- Chapter 15 Aggregate Facilities
- Chapter 16 Cogeneration Benchmark Calculations
- Chapter 17 Measurements, Sampling, Analysis and Data Management
- Appendix A References
- Appendix B Fuel Properties
- Appendix C General Calculation Instructions
- Appendix D Conversion Factors
- Appendix E Additional Information for the Alberta Gas Processing Index
Responses to Comments and Questions on Draft AQM
See the following table summarizing comments received and AEP responses.
- AEP Responses to Stakeholder Feedback (PDF, 85 KB)
Draft AQM for comment period
The following draft chapter is posted for a 30-day stakeholder comment period.
- Chapter 2 Flaring (Draft) (PDF, 461 KB)
Refer to the above section for the finalized Alberta Greenhouse Gas Quantification Methodologies.
Submit your questions and comments using the template form below to [email protected] by the closing date of April 16, 2021.
- Stakeholder Comments Table (DOCX, 224 KB)
Subscribe to mailing list
This automatic email system distributes information pertaining to the specified gas reporting program to subscribers. This list and the department’s website are the primary sources of information and updates on mandatory greenhouse gas emissions reporting.
The personal information collected through the Specified Gas Reporting form may be used for the purpose of providing you with a subscription to updates on the Specified Gas Reporting Mailing List.
This personal information collection is authorized under Section 8 (1)(2) of the Government Organization Act and Section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
Connect with the Alberta Climate Change Office by email at [email protected].