COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
How to vote
Step 1. Request a special ballot
Request a special ballot by calling the Returning Officer, Kevin Miller, at 780-422-1209 (toll-free in Alberta by first dialing 310-0000), or by emailing [email protected] before 4:00 p.m. October 8, 2021.
When requesting a special ballot, you will need to provide your:
- full name
- residential address
- mailing address to receive your special ballot (if different than residential address)
- phone number
- email address
Contact the Returning Officer for a replacement special ballot if you do not receive one or if it is misplaced.
Step 2. Fill in the special ballot
Learn more about how to complete your special ballot – watch Special Ballots – A Guide for Electors (video).
Senate nominee ballots
- If your Senate nominee ballot has the names of the Senate nominee candidates for election, mark your ballot with an “X” next to the candidate(s) of your choice.
- If your ballot is a write-in ballot, write the full name of the Senate nominee candidate(s) of your choice in the space(s) provided.
- You may vote for any number of Senate nominee candidates up to the maximum number found on your ballot.
Learn more about the Senate nominee candidates.
- If your referendum ballot has the question(s) listed on the ballot, mark your ballot with an “X” next to your vote of “Yes” or “No” for each question.
- If your ballot is a write-in ballot, write “Yes” or “No” for each question in the space provided.
- You are not required to vote on every question.
Learn more about the provincial referendum.
Step 3. Prepare the completed ballot
- Place completed ballots inside the envelope marked “Special Ballot Envelope” and seal the envelope.
- Place the “Special Ballot Envelope” inside the “Special Ballot Certificate Envelope.”
- Fill in the information in Part 1 of the “Special Ballot Certificate Envelope” form and sign the form.
- Seal the “Special Ballot Certificate Envelope.”
- Place the “Special Ballot Certificate Envelope” and a copy of your identification inside the envelope with the address of the Returning Officer.
- Seal the envelope.
Step 4. Mail the completed ballot package
Completed ballots must arrive at the office of the Returning Officer before 12:00 noon on Monday, October 18, 2021.
Connect with the Senate nominee and Referendum voter information line:
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected].
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.