COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
Road ban and seasonal weight notification
Anyone who wishes to stay up-to-date with Alberta Transportation road ban orders and seasonal weight changes can subscribe to the one-window notification service (15 to 20 emails per year).
The information collected through the Road restrictions and bans page will be used for the purpose of providing you notifications on road ban orders and seasonal weight changes.
The personal information collection is authorized under section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
From time to time Alberta's roads are restricted because of construction, maintenance or seasonal conditions such as the spring thaw.
See applications and permits for programs associated with provincial highways.
Find information about route restrictions due to dimensional constraints of highways because of overhead structures and bridge maintenance projects.
- Lane Restrictions List (PDF)
- Directory of road authorities
- Restricted Bridge List for Provincial Highways (PDF)
- Restricted Bridge List for Vehicles with Tridem Axles (PDF)
- Vertical Bridge Clearances (PDF)
See a list of provincially banned roads in the Road Ban List (unofficial) (PDF) document.
Toll free road ban information for provincial highways can be obtained by dialing 1-855-ROADBAN (1-855-762-3226).
Current information on road bans on local roads in counties and municipal districts should be obtained through their individual offices.
Road ban exemption permit applications can be completed by:
- Filling out the Road Ban Exemption Permit Request (PDF, 326 KB) form.
- Submitting the form by email at [email protected] or by fax to 403-340-5278.
Seasonal weights for heavy haul are set according to the following schedule:
- Spring: weather dependant, subject to thaw depth readings of at least 25 cm and begins at same time as Period 1 weights for service rigs
- Post-Thaw: June 16 (may begin one week earlier or one week later)
- Summer: July 1
- Fall: September 1
- Winter: weather dependant, subject to frost depth readings of 75 cm or more.
Seasonal weights for service rigs are set according to the following schedule:
- Period 1: weather dependant, subject to thaw depth readings of at least 25 cm and begins at same time as Spring weights for heavy haul
- Period 2: June 16 (may begin one week earlier or one week later)
- Period 3: July 16
- Period 4: September 1
Commercial Vehicle Weight and Dimension Specification: Historical Seasonal Weight Changes (PDF).
Frost and thaw depths are monitored from a network of 68 electronic thermistors throughout the province and used to determine the start of Spring/Period 1 seasons, Winter/Period 4 seasons and placement of thaw or frost line.
See placement of current frost or thaw line in the Frost/Thaw Contour Map (PDF).
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.