Road ban and seasonal weight notification
Anyone who wishes to stay up-to-date with Alberta Transportation road ban orders and seasonal weight changes can subscribe to the one-window notification service (15 - 20 emails per year).
Alberta Transportation Road Ban and Seasonal Weight notices / updates will be sent to this address. Your email address will not be made public or shared with others or used for any other purpose other than Road Ban and Seasonal Weight notifications.
From time to time Alberta's roads are restricted because of construction, maintenance or seasonal conditions such as the spring thaw.
Please see Applications, permits and prorate for programs associated with provincial highways.
This section provides information about route restrictions due to dimensional constraints of highways because of overhead structures and bridge maintenance projects.
Lane Restrictions (pdf)
This section provides a list of provincially banned roads.
Road Bans (unofficial) (pdf)
Toll free road ban information for provincial highways can be obtained by dialing 1-855-ROADBAN (1-855-762-3226).
Current information on road bans on local roads in Counties and Municipal Districts should be obtained through their individual offices.
Road ban exemption permit applications can be completed using the following PDF form and e-mailed to the Central Permit Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 403-340-5278.
Seasonal weights for heavy haul are set according to the following schedule:
- Spring: weather dependant, subject to thaw depth readings of at least 25 centimetres and begins at same time as Period 1 weights for service rigs
- Post-Thaw: June 16 (may begin one week earlier or one week later)
- Summer: July 1
- Fall: September 1
- Winter: weather dependant, subject to frost depth readings of 75 centimetres or more.
Seasonal weights for service rigs are set according to the following schedule:
- Period 1: weather dependant, subject to thaw depth readings of at least 25 centimetres and begins at same time as Spring weights for heavy haul
- Period 2: June 16 (may begin one week earlier or one week later)
- Period 3: July 16
- Period 4: September 1
Frost and thaw depths are monitored from a network of 68 electronic thermistors throughout the province and used to determine the start of Spring/Period 1 seasons, Winter/Period 4 seasons and placement of thaw or frost line.
Click on the link below to view placement of current frost or thaw line.
Thaw / Contour Map (pdf)