COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Alberta relies on the competence and professionalism of Regulated Forestry Professionals (RFP) to apply sound forestry principles and practices.
Regulated Forestry Professionals must follow specific standards and a Code of Ethics to practice forestry on public lands in Alberta. They are accountable to the public and their peers. Registered Professional Foresters (RPFs) and Registered Professional Forest Technicians (RPFTs) work for both government and the forest industry.
Legislation and standards
The Regulated Forest Management Profession Act establishes regulations for RPFs and RPFTs. Through the act, the government has delegated the self-regulation of professional foresters to:
- College of Alberta Professional Foresters (CAPF) and
- College of Alberta Professional Forest Technologists (CAPFT)
Alberta Forest Management Planning Standard
Forest Management Plans in Alberta are prepared by Regulated Forestry Professionals and must follow the Alberta Forest Management Planning Standard.
The Alberta Forest Management Planning Standard (Annex 2, Role of Regulated Forestry Professionals in Forest Management) is the source document for RFP validation requirements. Applicable checklists accompany validated forest management submissions to Alberta to show the submitting RFPs due diligence in preparing the submission and to focus Alberta's review.
- Full Implementation of Annex 2 – Forest Industry Notification (PDF, 56 KB)
- Updated definition of Regulated Forestry Professionals (PDF, 118 KB) – College of Alberta Professional Foresters and Forest Technologists
Forest management validation requirements and checklists are provided in digital format for the RFPs use when making forest management submissions to Alberta.
Checklists and documents requiring validation must be printed, signed, and submitted with the relevant submission.
Alberta FMP checklists
- Senior Company RFP Validation Sheet (PDF, 17 KB)
- Responsible RFP Validation Sheet (PDF, 23 KB)
- Alberta FMP Standard Tracking Sheet (XLSX, 199 KB)
- Scaling Plan – Form 262 Checklist (PDF, 48 KB)
- Community Timber Manufacturer – Certified Statement of Operations Checklist (PDF, 88 KB)
- Checklist For Statement Certification – 100% Scale (PDF, 74 KB)
- Checklist for Statement Certification – Production Based (PDF, 73 KB)
- Checklist for Statement Certification – Weigh Scale (PDF, 73 KB)
- Regeneration Survey Submission Cover Page (PDF, 28 KB)
Timber operations reporting
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.