We are studying the potential transition to an Alberta provincial police service. We held virtual stakeholder engagement sessions in fall of 2021 and will hold additional in-person meetings in 2022.
Replacing the RCMP with an Alberta provincial police service was a recommendation of the Fair Deal Panel to address Albertans’ concerns heard during public consultations in 2019 and 2020.
PwC Canada was hired in October 2020 to conduct a study and develop a proposed policing model. Their report found the concept was realistic, cost-effective and worth further study. The policing model proposes new approaches to service delivery and governance that could better address root causes of crime, increase accountability, and put more frontline personnel in communities across Alberta at equal or lower cost.
Results under review
Who is listening
Ministry of Justice and Solicitor General
Learn more about PwC Canada’s study and proposed policing model.
- Alberta Provincial Police Service: Community Policing Deployment Model Detachment Prototype Design
- Alberta Provincial Police Service: Transition Study Final Report
- Alberta Provincial Police Service: Transition Study Current State Report
- Alberta Provincial Police Service: Transition Study Future State Report
- FutureofABpolicing.ca to learn more about a potential provincial police service
We are hosting a series of webinars for subject matter experts from various backgrounds in public safety, policing, and national security to discuss policing.
Attend a webinar to learn more and engage in the various conversations and commentary regarding the best model for the future of policing and public safety delivery in Alberta.
Government met with stakeholders across Alberta in the fall of 2021 and will continue to hold meetings throughout 2022. There were 14 virtual sessions scheduled in November and December 2021, followed by 60 in-person meetings planned for 2022. Stakeholders include:
- municipal and Indigenous governments
- law enforcement organizations
- public safety partners, such as victims services organizations and rural crime watch groups
What we hear will help inform the direction of government’s exploration of a provincial police service in Alberta.
Visit Exploring an Alberta Provincial Police Service and use the feedback form to connect with the provincial police service engagement.
- A blueprint for more police officers in rural Alberta (August 16, 2022)
- The future of policing in Alberta | L'avenir des services de police en Alberta (August 3, 2022)
- Fighting for better rural policing (June 6, 2022)
- Report explores benefits of provincial police service (October 29, 2021)
Last updated: August 25, 2022